Slow Leak

Butthead

Have a slow leak in my back tyre, basic from hero to zero, time frame unsure but definitely under a month maybe 3 weeks, but now that I am aware of it will monitor it.

Can't seem to see any damage in the tyre, valve stem seems ok, tried soapy water, assuming I've got a pin prick hole somewhere or not seating properly will try soapy water on that as well

Should have dawned on me when it appeared a bit heavy, anyway......

Tyre still has a few thousand in it so am thinking tube until I can replace the tyre,

Anything else I should be looking at to try and pinpoint the leak or is that a waste of time and just go the tube or just monitor and go for new tyre

Last edited:
Definitely find the source first so you know why it's leaking before you decide what to do. As far as putting a tube in, I would probably rather just keep topping it up until I can get it replaced.

Take the wheel off and bring it into the bathtub. With the tire standing up, put enough water in the tub to cover the wheel, tire and valve stem but not the hub. Stand the wheel in the tub and watch for any bubbles... if none in 5 minutes, rotate the tire and watch again. Repeat until you have gone full circle.

When you replace the tires, be sure to replace the valve stems and while you are at it, get the angled stems, good ones with aluminum caps that have sealing O-rings in them.

Take the wheel off and bring it into the bathtub. With the tire standing up, put enough water in the tub to cover the wheel, tire and valve stem but not the hub. Stand the wheel in the tub and watch for any bubbles... if none in 5 minutes, rotate the tire and watch again. Repeat until you have gone full circle.

When you replace the tires, be sure to replace the valve stems and while you are at it, get the angled stems, good ones with aluminum caps that have sealing O-rings in them.

Yep looking like thats the option, its dropped 20 psi overnight so looking more like a puncture of sorts, will examine the tyre closer when I get home tonight

As said it certainly sounds like a puncture in your case , oddly my last two sets of pr2's have all started to leak air when they were nearly done albeit a few pounds every couple of weeks

Back