should I get an FZ1

It's doable... it's also pretty damn easy to get into trouble on a liter-bike.... a FZ6 would allow you to go cross country just as easily if that's what you really want to do... and it'd give you better gas mileage in the process....

It's doable... it's also pretty damn easy to get into trouble on a liter-bike.... a FZ6 would allow you to go cross country just as easily if that's what you really want to do... and it'd give you better gas mileage in the process....

I want to tell you that if you are as responsible as you say you are no problem. But I think our responsible answer should be the above. With essentially no prior motorcycle experience it is a huge leap of faith to go from the Honda Rebel in the MSF to an FZ1.

I personally am glad I had some years on a 600cc bike before getting the FZ1. I don't think getting an FZ1 right out of the MSF would have been a good idea for me. But to each his own.

Physical size is important when considering this question. I'm pretty much an average size guy. If you're a big and tall guy then handling an FZ1 will come easier and quicker. I'm not talking about just riding around when all is well. Remember, on a motorcycle your life may depend on being able to turn or stop on a dime. A new rider will be able to do that much easier on a FZ6 than a FZ1.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

First I want to welcome you Steven to the forum. I also feel that a smaller bike like the 600 would be the logical choice in bikes for you. It wouldn't be that bad to find a decent older model to start with. You could pick one up relatively cheap. You don't have to go right out and pick up a brand new bike. Buy a used 600 to start with so that when it comes time to upgrade, it won't hurt you pocket as much. This way you'll be able to learn to ride safely and hone your skills. Keep it maintained and looking good and you may not lose as much as you think when it comes time to move up to a bigger bike. You'll thank us in the long run, trust me. I say this only because of your riding experience, and not to burst your bubble. I've been riding for 32 years and have ridden all kinds of bikes and it still took me 4 months to get used to the FZ1 where I felt comfortable riding it to only half it's potential. Thats how strong of a bike it truly is. It's true that you can get bit on any bike but less likely if you work your way up the ladder as most of us have done. So go find a reliable FZ6, enjoy the hell out of it, and then surprise us next year with your new 1000!! Welcome again, Billy.

Allow me to be the black sheep of the group....

Back in March of last year I got an itch that had to be scratched. I had gone to my local stealer to take a look at what they had available. I was drawn to the fz purly on the look of the bike. The kid that was helping me had just started and was giving me the scoop on the '01. I honestly could not tell you what he said b/c I also had my eye on an 05 r6. I had played around on a few bikes, but never owned one for myself.

It was down to the two bikes and no matter how much the kid tried to put me on a new Suzuki or kawasaki, it was Yamaha or bust. I'm 35 and so glad that I went with the fz over the r6. Once I threw my leg over the fz the deal was sealed.

It may have taken me over 10 months to begin tapping a tiny bit of the potential that the bike has to offer and and the last 6 have been an absolute blast. Any bike can drop you flat on your @$$ whether it is a liter bike or a 600. If you don't let your testerone get the best of you, then you might be able to have many enjoyable outings on the fz. I for one wish that I would of started riding alot sooner. Eveyone here has been faced with a similar situation in their lives, what are you going to decide to do :teeter:

Last edited:
thanks for all of your comments... it looks like i might have to join a fz6 forum. i'll keep you posted on how it turns out for me, and will post a photo of my bike in the coming weeks when i choose one! maby i'll look at an older fz6 as opposed to a newer fz1 to start with and see how it works out for me and then move up. (I'll consider it my motorcycle college) I've ridden a friends Fz1 around my local streets (about 30 min. of seat time), and a r6 (again about 30 min.) and like them both, so i imagine i will like the fz6.

thanks again - and safe riding to all on any bike at any skill level!

A gracious man indeed. Good luck to you my friend and don't be a stranger. We'd love to hear about your journeys across the country.

FYI, Norm, FZ1inNH, CrazyBiker are some of the members who have just recently stepped up from the fz6 to the bigger brother. So they, as well as all the folks on the sister site, can overload you with all kinds of tidbits.

But I do believe you are on the right track by starting off with an older bike. If ya beat on it, you are not AS concerned as you would be with a newer bike.

I have been really fortunate with my experiences (and this will redirect some heat off ya) but I need to complete the first trek of my journey and obtain my endorsement on my license. But that probably won't be until after I get a hotel completed in Tuba City, AZ.

So, (to out some focus back on you) should you go across country and venture to the Grand Canyon, I might be able to help you out for a night or two as you are passing through.

Heck, anyone passin through the area for that matter.

Adam

Last edited:
:welcome:

If you really are a young man with throttle control, I think you will really like the FZ1. But, what sways me away from this bike for you is the touring around the country. As va_rider said, the MPG is going to kill you out there... This bike has to stop for drinks every 130 or so miles. On my old FZ6, I was touring and hitting 210 miles on a tank. More time for scenery and less time watching the gas gauge. For the FZ1, it's not the MPG that bothers me, it's the clrealy wasted space that Yamaha could have filled with a larger tank. I don't care that I get 35 mpg, just get me out 200+ miles before she's thristy again! ;)

Either bike, I think you'll be happy with. I don't know the size of you as a rider and what you'll carry, but if you're a bigger man and plan on loading the bike down, the FZ6 will struggle a bit at times on tour where the FZ1 will always wonder if she's *really* carrying weight. She's very carefree about pulling up a steep climb with whatever you can pile on her. And, nimble too! She falls into corners without effort where the FZ6 had to be nudged.

Back