Selling bike due to becoming a Parent?????

I just saw this blog in an email from Bike Bandit this morning:

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...News&utm_content=irresponsible_to_ride_parent

I thought it was perfect timing considering my Wife is pregnant with our first child and is Due April 4th.

My father has never liked that I ride street bikes now, he never had a problem with us riding dirt bikes and quads as teenagers, and since my wife first got pregnant he keeps pressuring me to sell my motorcycles.

Fortunately for me, my wife trusts me, she loves riding cupcake, and has told me how she cannot wait for the pregnancy to be over so we can go on rides again just the two of us. So I have no pressure from her to sell either bike.

I like to think I am a safe rider, have been riding the FZ1 for almost 5 years now, and the only off I have had is at 10mph doing something I could have avoided. I have had a number of close calls over the years, ALL of which I could have avoided by just going slower. As the baby gets closer to arriving in this world, it is top of mind for me to be safe, and I have noticed I am in less of a rush and more careful than before. I see no reason to stop commuting to and from work everyday in my bike.

If I did sell the bike and take a car to work, this is what would happen:

I would have to leave earlier each day and would get home later. (I save about 20 min per morning and as much as an hour each afternoon by taking the bike instead of the car)
I would spend more money on Gasoline each week.
I would have much higher levels of stress dealing with the Terrible SoCal traffic each day.

I see taking the motorcycle as a benefit to my overall heath and lifestyle, giving me more time at home with my family.

Neither the FZ nor the V-Star are going up for sale.

What have been your experiences? I am specifically looking for comments from those here who are parents, but anyone is free to comment of course.

I sold my Yamaha 78 XS1100 when my daughter was born not because I had to, my wife loved riding on it but I knew we wouldn't have had to much to time to go out on it. I guess I felt guilty going out on the bike by myself but I also knew I would buy another bike someday so I was ok with it.
This was my old 78 XS1100 I got rid of.
DSCF0353.jpgPicture253.jpg

consider that in your situation you have practical benefits to a motorcycle. 99% of people on motorcycles, don't have that "reason" and many just make up an "excuse". bikes are basically hobbies, and families generally take precedence over hobbies.

When my gf, at the time (now wife) got pregnant, I asked her if she would ever make me get rid of my bike. Her response was NO. Thank you thank you thank you. That among other reasons is why she is my wife. We as a family now all ride. My 20 year old son and 19 & 8 year old daughters.

I learned early that the way I ride had to change not stop riding. I ride safer now that I have kids.

I did, indirectly. My oldest daughter was just walking, and our first house needed some renovations. The only way that I could afford them was to sell my bike. I regretted doing it, but my family's needs came first. It had nothing to do with fear, or safety, just money.
It took years to be able to get to the point that I could justify buying another. Now if hard times come again, I'll sell my car (and maybe a kidney) before the bike ever goes.

I've got a 4 year old and an 8 month old and there's no way I would sell my bike.
My wife is awesome and has never pressured me to sell the bike.
I do ride accordingly though, I've backed it off a notch or two and ride within my limits.
I suppose it's all about risk management.

Sent from my Nexus 5

If you don't need the $$ then don't sell your machines. All take a step back when kids come into play, I was a eat sleep fishing Mo FO when ours came into the picture. I put that hold, then one day it was back on. Butt, nothing wrong with selling if you have to. I've ridden dirt sense I was 6, now 54. Wife said NO to street, then one day 5 years ago I went and picked up a sweet 92 NH 4 sense that. Life insurance is a good thing to have.

When we had our second child, of three, times were tough. I told my wife that the Seca wasn't worth much, so I stuck it in the shed...... for 10 years. Once money was less of an issue I reserected the Seca and rode it for another 8 years. Still have the Seca and now my son rides it.

You are not going to get that kind of wisdom from a forum, it is too much of a personal decision to make. There is no right and wrong answer from an absolute standpoint, just arguments one way and the other. Obviously, you do not make that decision in a vacuum, but hopefully your family and friends will help you make the decision, not make one up for you.

I was 62 when I made the decision to ride (again). My wife (not a rider) was completely supportive. You could make the argument that our situations are totally different as the advantages in traffic you point out do not really apply to me, and my kids are mostly grown up. But she trusts me not to be an idiot and she respects my desire to do something that I enjoy and that we can afford. It seems like your wife is similarly enlightened. We are both lucky :)

Last edited:
First let me say congrats on becoming a dad soon. As many will tell you, life is going to really change once the crumb cruncher gets here. I wouldn't trade my two boys for anything!

Don't be in a hurry to sell it if your wife is ok with that but as a husband and a parent it's your responsibility to carry plenty of term (don't get whole) life insurance to protect your family whether you ride a bike or not.

We want to see pictures after the baby gets home.

First let me say congrats on becoming a dad soon. As many will tell you, life is going to really change once the crumb cruncher gets here. I wouldn't trade my two boys for anything!

Don't be in a hurry to sell it if your wife is ok with that but as a husband and a parent it's your responsibility to carry plenty of term (don't get whole) life insurance to protect your family whether you ride a bike or not.

We want to see pictures after the baby gets home.

Thanks, and yes, I have a good term life insurance policy in place already. Have had that for many years, before I ever got a motorcycle in fact.

I sold all my toys when my kids were very young. Right after the twins graduated high school, I ran out and bought a new FZ6. It was almost 14 yrs without being up on two but I don't regret it. It's not your riding you need to be concerned about, it's the other drivers. You can be doing everything perfectly but it takes just one driver with their attention somewhere but on the road ahead to take a parent away from a child. I know you are safe and a good rider but nothing can prevent that one cager from ending a good life. Please consider that side of the equation. I wouldn't blame you if you kept on riding but I hope you'll be a little slower and much more vigilant each day you toss a leg over the bike. :)

This is just my opinion based on my experience and is not meant to be judgmental of your decision. Last, congrats on becoming a Dad! Cherish every single moment because it ABSOLUTELY goes by in a blink! I can't believe my kids are 31 and 28... and I have 4 grandkids! I'm only 51... but trapped in a 27 yr old mind. :D

Back