Selling a bike (Not my FZ1)

My FZ1 has effectively replaced my old bike, so I'm planning to sell it (my '03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750) in the Spring. Originally, I had a small loan on it, which has long been paid off. I have the Credit Union "signoff" on the Title, which I believe classifies as a "clear" title. My question is, should I get a new title that doesn't list anyone other than me on it? I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to the paperwork, but it might improve the perception of the bike to just see me listed as the owner.

My FZ1 has effectively replaced my old bike, so I'm planning to sell it (my '03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750) in the Spring. Originally, I had a small loan on it, which has long been paid off. I have the Credit Union "signoff" on the Title, which I believe classifies as a "clear" title. My question is, should I get a new title that doesn't list anyone other than me on it? I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to the paperwork, but it might improve the perception of the bike to just see me listed as the owner.

In California you are supposed to get the title transferred to your own name within 30 days. However if you are selling the bike I would skip the transfer fees and just sell it and sign over the current title to the new owner and let them handle the transfer. I waited over a year before I transferred the title of my Subaru to my own name after I bought her back from the insurance company and had no issues. Just don't tell the DMV when you got the title... lol.

I don't think that's necessary. Once the lien has been satisfied it is a "clear" title.

For example, here in NJ when you satisfy the lien on the vehicle the title it gets signed off by the lien holder, but the title is already in the owner's name. Even with a lien on it the title is never issued under the lien holder's name.

Pretty sure it works that way here in Michigan too. My title lists me as the owner, with a lien holder (now signed off) listed separately below that.

Pretty sure it works that way here in Michigan too. My title lists me as the owner, with a lien holder (now signed off) listed separately below that.

Then I would just leave it as is. As long as the lies has been satisfied it's fine. Don't really see the point of paying for a new title just to eliminate the listing of the lien holder.

Back