Seeking advice on toy haulers.

Peter1968

My wife and I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing a new toy hauler for the last year or two I will be using it for track days maybe 6 -10 a year (that would be a good year), some off road riding and camping and possibly more. I have never owned one and find myself hesitant to make the decision. If anyone could offer some of the pros and cons of the RV world I would appreciate the feedback.

Here is a link to the one that my wife and I really like. KZ Recreational Vehicles: MXT 302 Floorplan

Beats the hell out of my Harbor Freight folding trailer on my G37! But I usually stay at Hilton products.

Seriously, that looks like a wonderful trailer. :drools:

Beats the hell out of my Harbor Freight folding trailer on my G37! But I usually stay at Hilton products.

Seriously, that looks like a wonderful trailer. :drools:

You mean...........Beats the hell out of OUR Harbor Freight folding trailers!!! Yeah baby! Picked mine up today! Another project on my list!
HarborFreightTrailer.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet Billy! Give yourself about 12 hours to put that bad boy together. Seriously, it is a slow project.

Yep, I assumed that much. I'm going to wait until the bike is just about done before I start on it. I want to run all the wiring "internally" to clean things up. I have had the instruction manual for some time now and have been studying it to a fault. I'm also going with 3/4 A/C Plywood (from work of course!...Freebie!), and then I'm going to Rhino Line it on both sides before it's bolted down. It should make for an awesome look. I'm thinking the Yamaha Tuning Fork Logo dead center on the plywood in the same red as the trailer!

Didn't take long to hi-jack this thread, lol!

Michele and I also cast a lustful eye on the toy haulers as well. But we would be most interested in one that was self contained. We wanted a hauler that we could drive, sleep in and unload the bikes when we get to any destination. Having only the 5th wheel option, we were immediately turned off.

The other thought would be to take a used RV and convert it to a toy hauler. It would take some engineering but there's no reason it cannot be done. But then we'd have to factor in the overall cost of that sort of project. Maybe we'll end up with the 5th wheel and be done with it. At least with the 5th wheel, you have your truck to go out with for supplies or during bad weather. ;)

Did you cost out one of those haulers? What sizes are available?

I could fill you need for being self contained for we are in the process of selling our class A diesel pusher.

with regards to the 5th wheel, having your bikes in the back, and a truck to drive (if needed in foul weather) is pretty handy. We never towed our vehicle, just rented when we got to our destination. there were TWO times, I recall, where a vehicle was needed b/c the RV was experiencing problems.

I don't see any 'trucks' on the list (ford explorer is NOT classified as a truck IMO)

You've never heard of a Tundra, eh? :stirpot:

Back to the topic though... I don't think it would be too hard to convert an existing RV... gut the rear, make the entire back a drop-down ramp with a cable lift and frame it all up to be weather tight. I'm guessing the floor would require some reinforcements. The gate, if built right, will be more than sturdy enough.

I just cannot justify the prices of the new haulers... :deal:

my bad.....after the Ford Explorer, I thought I only saw cars remaining.

as for modifying the RV, i'd go truck/5th wheel before that primrose path.

You've never heard of a Tundra, eh? :stirpot:

Back to the topic though... I don't think it would be too hard to convert an existing RV... gut the rear, make the entire back a drop-down ramp with a cable lift and frame it all up to be weather tight. I'm guessing the floor would require some reinforcements. The gate, if built right, will be more than sturdy enough.

I just cannot justify the prices of the new haulers... :deal:

I saw a nice set up in the 80's once, OH YEAH these guys.....

KITTenteringSemi2.png
: oops:

But seriously : http://www.trailerranch.net/continental-cargo/10.html

Last edited:
I appreciate the well thought out advice here! :poke: I do like the knight rider set up all though well out of my price range!

All jokking aside I am not sure if anyone has shopped RV/Compers recently but the dealers are appling some serious discounts to order new. Between discounts and factory incentives I am looking at 35% overall discount. That was enough to make me start looking at new Toy Haulers versus used.

Last edited:
Didn't take long to hi-jack this thread, lol!

Michele and I also cast a lustful eye on the toy haulers as well. But we would be most interested in one that was self contained. We wanted a hauler that we could drive, sleep in and unload the bikes when we get to any destination. Having only the 5th wheel option, we were immediately turned off.

The other thought would be to take a used RV and convert it to a toy hauler. It would take some engineering but there's no reason it cannot be done. But then we'd have to factor in the overall cost of that sort of project. Maybe we'll end up with the 5th wheel and be done with it. At least with the 5th wheel, you have your truck to go out with for supplies or during bad weather. ;)

Did you cost out one of those haulers? What sizes are available?

I did look at the fifth wheel Toy Haulers and they are really nice! But the pricing is double what I am looking at. I am only interested in a standard hitch around 30 feet in length, my truck can handle that well without any modification just add a brake controller and anti-sway bars. If I went to a fifth wheel I would have to purchase a new truck first, I am on the fence with this now that would change my mind all together and not even consider it.

Lee, those Trailer Ranch ones are nice. I like the smaller compact one but I also like the idea of having the bikes inside and having sleeping quarters too. That means a bigger one... ;)

Thanks but I am looking for more than just hauling the bikes, we want to take advantage of our duaghters age and do some family camping while she is still interested in doing things with us. It will serve mutliple uses camping, off road riding trips as well as provide relief from the heat on track days.

Back