Scrub in new tires?

Got my new Angel ST mounted yesterday, I will get them back on the bike this morning, and go & “scrub” them in. just wondering the best/proper way, (if there is such a thing) to do this.
Craig

Just riding them of course, but what I do is head for a Large parking lot such as a Mall or Wallmart sized place and go out to the area where no cars are and do low-speed (15-20 mph) circles in both dirrections to get the scuff as far up the curve as possable, to grind off the greesy part of the tread before doing some tight leans at speed on the streets and backroads. One event like this always scuffs up my tires and makes them ready for bussiness, pluss the ride there (9 miles) to the parking lot, warms them up to be ready for scuffing.

Bit at a time would be the proper answer. Progressively leaning further and further, so that as you scrub in some fresh tire, you still have some of the scrubbed in stuff on the deck.

I cheat and do it another way. I leave my tire service provider's shop and head up to the twisties, about 5 minutes away. These are particularly tight, low speed twisties.

It looks stupid, and people must think I'm not quite right in the head, but I don't try to get the knee down. I try to get the knee up. I kind of slide over the seat to the high side just before I tip in and push the bars down towards the road. This allows me to go very slowly through the corner so that there is very little lateral force trying to 'slide' the tire, but still get it pretty much all the way over to the edge.

By the time I get to the top of the hill, all parts of the tire have been in contact with the road enough to scrub off any mould release, or anything else that may have ended up on the tire before and during fitting.

I then do a hot lap back down the hill...lol...my tire is totally scrubbed in and is about to start to ball up within 15 minutes of leaving the tire shop (even in the wet).

Sometimes I think the worst part of new tires is the first mile if not the first few turns. I am also lucky that I can be on twisty roads in seconds. I just go easy in the turns leaning a bit more every few miles and within a half hour they are good to go.
For the first 50miles I do put a small peice of tape on the tack with the words "New Feet" just in case I start to think I am Rossi.

Back