S22 front tire issue

bunk

This caught my eye after walking past it a million times today. I think the picture picks it up. There’s a definite ridge/peak on the left side of the tire, right side is a nice radius. Maybee 4K miles on it. 4A8EABF0-F4AB-487B-B6BD-D744AD26647E.jpeg

Ride like your warming your tires up for a race. Other drivers love that.

I use to get that and scalloping with the original BT-023 tires. The modern T31s and T32s hold up well (in my neck of the woods) . As Neanderthal suggests your local roads and climate are part of the cause.

Since we're guessing tire life in these threads I'll go with another 300 before the front is toast.

When someone gets out the 6' straight edge and gets things perfectly aligned......... can you then check the swingarm gradients and report how far off they are when tire alignment is perfect? Thanks

That’s normal wear for a dual compound front tire. The middle is harder compound and wears more slowly. As you transition from middle to side, the soft compound wears quickly at the transition. And you end up with the wear you’re noticing and as it progresses… bad handling. At it’s worst, you can sort of bypass it by just pitching the bike from straight up to full lean. It gets to the point that steering gets heavy and off putting.
I prefer to use single compound fronts, because they wear more evenly across the profile, thus maintaining reasonably pleasant steering characteristics to the point where they’re basically bald.
RS10 front tires are a good single compound front, if you can still find them. I think the RS11’s they went dual compound. I ended up getting better longevity out of the RS10 fronts, vs the T31 or the S22. I pair that with T31 or T32 rears. I run 34 psi front and 36 psi rear with good results. Aggressive street use.

GOOD ! I got a mighty headache after checking everything over as it all looked fine. I'll be extra aware in the future as it wears, but as of now it feels normal. Lots of 70-75mph roads to get anywhere from my house and not much of it is leaned over.

If you’re dealing with mostly straight roads, then a dual compound front makes more sense. You’ll be mostly on the center tread, so that harder segment is fighting “flat spot” wear. In that type of environment, a dual compound front should excel.

If you’re dealing with mostly straight roads, then a dual compound front makes more sense. You’ll be mostly on the center tread, so that harder segment is fighting “flat spot” wear. In that type of environment, a dual compound front should excel.
Yeah that describes what i ride. 20 miles to town, speed limit 70. The rear tire is going to need replacing long before the front. Bike still feels fine. I kind of want another set of rims now.

Back