rubber pieces popping out on the engine....

Rode for three hours...when I got home there was...what I believe to be oil all over the right side of the motor...I also noticed the two black half circles were not flush with the engine anymore....I pushed those in. So I assumed that the oil came out of those half circles? But the bigger question is...why would they pop out and is that a sign of bigger problems? Any advice?????

AJ Esq.

sounds like you're talking about the rubber inserts where the ends of the cam shafts are between the head and valve cover. No idea why they would pop out. I would remove the valve cover and make sure they are seated correctly

Rode for three hours...when I got home there was...what I believe to be oil all over the right side of the motor...I also noticed the two black half circles were not flush with the engine anymore....I pushed those in. So I assumed that the oil came out of those half circles? But the bigger question is...why would they pop out and is that a sign of bigger problems? Any advice?????

AJ Esq.

Those are part of the Valve Cover Gasket. Over time the rubber gets hard and cracked and shrinks to some degree. Easy fix, replace the gasket. I put new ones in now every time I do a valve set. For the record, the bike I have now is not an FZ, but the last FZ that I had I replaced the gasket when it started leaking. They don't last forever and take a lot of heat cycles.

Be sure that the mating surfaces are clean, use a flat razor blade carefully to clean any left over rubber or dirt of before installing the new gasket, and make sure it is seated properly before tightening the valve cover down. Those little half moon shaped pieces have a little lip (or ridge) to keep them in place. Also put a very light smear of oil on both surfaces of the gasket (that contact the case and cover) with your fingers before you install it.

Last edited:
only thing to add to what ^ said is, put paper towels down lining the inside of it so you dont have shavings falling in where they shouldn't be.

20151006_213124.jpg20151006_213139.jpgGD
So are you saying I can replacement just the half circles and not the black line of rubber that goes around the whole thing? I pushed them back in and they seem to be fine now. Should I just keep a close eye on them? Because that all seems to be one whole piece....but again....since no one truly addressed the other question.....the fact they partially came out...and oil obviously was leaking....this is NOT a sign of an engine problem I hope?

Last edited:
so I have to take the top part off to replace the whole lining right? No thanks...I will take it to my mechanic buddy to do!!! But I think it's a cylinder head cover gasket??? looks like they are pretty cheap to buy???$(KGrHqF,!l0FJrDwkq,HBSdgVd1WOw~~60_57.jpg

That's the piece, the smaller ones are for the bolts that hold the valve cover (cylinder head) in place. If they stay put ( the half round bits) and don't leak anymore then don't worry about it until your next valve set. Those gaskets are indeed one complete piece and leakage around them is not a sign of other engine problems as a rule. Don't be too concerned.

As a side note, when you wash your bike don't get the pressure washer aimed there for long or you will get water past the gasket and contaminate your oil.

Back