RIP ContourROAM - Looking for new camera

I picked up a ContourROAM last year on sale for something like $130. It was a good little camera, and I managed to get some pretty good videos over the course of the year.

A couple of weeks ago, the mount (my creation) broke and the camera fell to the road. I turned around and picked up the unit and it was still working fine. The lens was scratched, but it didn't affect the video. Last weekend, I decided to mount the camera on my helmet. I temporarily adhered the mount to my helmet and was walking out to the bike to start the "fine tuning" session when the camera and mount assembly fell to the garage floor. Broke the back off the camera. :shaking head: It still works, but I won't take it on the bike again.

So, I'm in the market for a new "action camera." I'll browse eBay, since I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Mostly I'm just recording the occasional ride that has some twisties (but I live in Michigan, so those are hard to come by). I'm impressed with the quality of the GoPro products, but I don't like the form factor. The "bullet" style cameras seem like a better design. I've gradually built up a small selection of mounting points on my FZ1, so I'm definitely interested in the availability of mounting options. I really liked the "camera on a stick" approach that loosenut posted. Something similar was going to be my next experiment.

Anyone have any recommendations or done any research lately? It looks like a lot of the products available now have GPS built in, which would be great for overlaying (a map or telemetry data) on the video with a minimum of fuss (I've done it by combining my phone GPS data with a video, but it was a PITA). I also like the idea of being able to use wi-fi to view the video straight from the camera, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the premium associated with the feature.

Honestly, do a GoPro. I love the few I have and even want more.

I agree the form factor is not the best, but really you get over it quickly with the video quality and the endless possibilities of mounting. There are many websites devoted to making gopro mounts for every scenario.

There is a reason they are so damn popular

Is easier to operate the new GoPros now?

I have a Gen1 that I hate; buttons are inconsistent, can't see the power light, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Is easier to operate the new GoPros now?

I have a Gen1 that I hate; buttons are inconsistent, can't see the power light, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have the Hero 3 Silver Edition and I love it.

Silver and Black have the built in wifi, so you can use the smart phone app to control the camera and setup your shots. I love it.

I also have the remote control but do not really use that as much, but it would be nice to have it mounted somewhere if i had the camera out of reach.

Between the beeps and buttons I can operate the camera with a quick touch and know exactly what it is doing without seeing the screen. Since I record my commute every day via the helmet mount this is key.

Also to the OP, the Shockcase on the GoPro is super strong. I have dropped mine a few times while in the case and had no issues.

Also to the OP, the Shockcase on the GoPro is super strong. I have dropped mine a few times while in the case and had no issues.

Wow, I'm embarrassed. I completely forgot I got one of those when I bought the kit. Perhaps the Contour will live after all. I'm not mounting that gigantic enclosure on my head, but my fairing and rear mounts should be able to handle it just fine. Since the Contour was mostly waterproof, I tucked the big case away and haven't thought about it since. I'll dig it out and see. Thanks for the suggestion!

Silver and Black have the built in wifi, so you can use the smart phone app to control the camera and setup your shots. I love it.

Hero 3 white has wifi and works with app also, one of mine is a white

The hero 3 + are even nicer, smaller and easier access to buttons than the 3's

Ive wrecked really hard on a dirtbike with my go pro's and they are working just fine

Back