Riding the FZ1 To Its Full Capability

I posted a lap of me on FZ1OA a few days back. My bike's basically stock. Slip-on and aftermarket rearsets because I ground the stock pegs damn near down to a nub. Only real mod I'd like to have for the track is clip-ons. The high bars make it hard to roll on the throttle when you're really hanging off the right side. Everything else, though, is plenty good.

If you don't take your FZ to the track because you don't think it's sporty enough... you're wrong.

FZ1 vs. supersports

Last edited:
The track video is badass. That is way better than racing up I-95.
FZ1 is a great bike including the engine and brakes. I don't know why it is not more popular considering its heritage. R1 is the most popular liter bike sold.

looks like fun!! I have seen the Yamaha champions guys make the FZ1 fly also. it takes a little more to horse it around compared to others but my FZ1 holds its own very nicely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. A stock Fz1 is basically putting out the same power if not a little more power (hp/torque) as an R6 and other 600 supersports. The performance times the Fz1 is faster than some years of the R6 and the same if not a little slower than the GSXR's, CBR, and ZX's in the 600 range.

Again correct me if I'm wrong. But the torque combined with the right gearing is what allows you to keep speed and drive out of corners. HP is for blasting away down the straights.

So, the Fz1 if you shed some weight, and know how to ride, then it would seem it should fair pretty well at the track.

You're correct - the FZ does put out more power than the R6, and really all of the newer 600s. It's more inline with something like a GSXR 750. Now, the older model 600s (pre-2006 or so) actually put out 110+ hp in their stock configurations. When combined with their lighter weight (50-100lbs less), it'd definitely be a close drag race. That stock power in 600s has since gone down due to emissions constraints, but it's pretty easy to bump it back up with exhaust, airbox, and ECU/PC mods. Most real "track" 600s should be pushing 130hp. The race built ones can do 140.

That said, 99(.9)% of riders can't use that power. The real track shortcoming of the FZ1 is in the suspension. The rear shock in particular is very stiff (especially on my '06) as it's meant to better accommodate 2-up riding than true sportbikes. It doesn't offer a very wide range of adjustability, and the components themselves are just cheaper than you'd find on an R1. However, if you upgrade the suspension and fully Ivanize an FZ1, you would effectively have a real 1000cc sportbike. It'd just be abnormally heavy and have a sub-optimal riding position.

So, the Fz1 if you shed some weight, and know how to ride, then it would seem it should fair pretty well at the track.

It depends what 'at the track' means. If you're talking about a trackday when a bunch of average guys come in and go around, sure. Mostly, it's down to the rider anyway, innit?

If you're talking about a race situation with lap times and all that, I'm sure an FZ1 leaves a lot to be desired. I would guess if you put the same pro rider on an R6 and an FZ1 and had him do hot laps, the R6 would be a lot faster over a lap. I mean, it is a bike designed just for that after all

We've got a few guys here who own or have owned FZ1s and also race 600s, I'm curious what they have to say

Last edited:
99.9 % of us don't race professionally or competitively so I think it does just fine. I don't think to many people want to pull their FZ1's off the street and make them a track only bike like the 600's you are talking abut. They are to much fun to ride all the time.

It depends what 'at the track' means. If you're talking about a trackday when a bunch of average guys come in and go around, sure. Mostly, it's down to the rider anyway, innit?

If you're talking about a race situation with lap times and all that, I'm sure an FZ1 leaves a lot to be desired. I would guess if you put the same pro rider on an R6 and an FZ1 and had him do hot laps, the R6 would be a lot faster over a lap. I mean, it is a bike designed just for that after all

We've got a few guys here who own or have owned FZ1s and also race 600s, I'm curious what they have to say

I've ridden my 07 FZ1 for over 2 years now and also own a 05 R6. Now.. I can't come anywhere NEAR the pace of the rider in original video and I have yet to take my R6 to the track (just purchased it at the end of track riding season). My R6 is not street-legal, so I can't properly compare it to my FZ1, but in terms of pure acceleration, obviously R6 has to get to higher RPM than FZ1 to really start pulling, but when it does, my butt dyno says it pulls harder than FZ1. No doubt due to weighing nearly 100 pounds less.

Clearly FZ1 can handle track riding very well. It's got loads of power and it handles well enough in stock form. I've done 2 track days on it and at that point have decided that I want a dedicated track bike. Having done 1 day on R1000ss, it's just SO much better to be on full-on sport bike on the track. Just like it's so much better to be on FZ1 on the street vs full-on sport bike. My FZ1 is also my daily commuter and main mode of transport. Really not ideal to also use it on track (prep before every track day, increased chance of crashing my daily ride, debatable tire choices... etc).

FZ1 lacks the flickability of light sport bikes and the handlebar is astronomically high for track use. For a really capable rider, reduced ground clearance and lacking rear suspension also become factors.

Yickes! He missed almost every apex. He was several feet off in fact. It looks to me like he rode down a class. Like to the beginners at the end of their first day.

As much as I like the FZ1 it is not a good track weapon. The footpegs are simply too low.

I have a '12 FZ1 and a '98 ZXR-6R (with a '99 engine and cam work) and here are my observations between these two:

-FZ1 is faster, no doubt. Better straight line speed and out of corners.

-The ZX6 is MUCH better on the brakes and carry speed

-Ergos for the track are MUCH better on the ZX6 for going fast. The knock on the FZ is the tall bars.

The new R6's obviously deliver a lot more power and speed than my ZX6 so all things being equal (and riders) on the R6 and the FZ1 the R6 spanks an FZ. Other than "maybe" the straights is just plain lighter and faster. The R6 is a straight out track thoroughbred....but a horrible streetbike. Now a stock R6 versus a loaded FZ1 might be a better fight.

I'll be anxious to see how different my bike is once I get my ECU back from Ivan and get to a track in the Spring. I'll be able to compare as I have friends with R6's and I have access to stock R6's.

Last edited:
lol I have no knowledge of how a stock FZ1 handles the track. Mine is geared down fully Ivanized plus a R1 shock. I know have rear sets and will be changing a few more things..the most important thing is still being able to weekend ride it. if I was going to just track only I would get a R6 or R1 but the whole point was the FZ1 can handle its own in the right hands on the track...and it can..

Last edited:
Back