Replacing grips, do you use glue or not?

I am replacing grips for the first time. I see some people use glue on the new grips and some people just use soap and water or nothing at all. What do you do?

I recently replaced my stock FZ1 grips with the Oxford heated variety. I used a razor blade to remove the old grips and stripped off the leftover glue. The Oxfords fits very snugly and I just used a few taps from a rubber mallet to put them on. It has been about a week and they feel very secure.

I am replacing grips for the first time. I see some people use glue on the new grips and some people just use soap and water or nothing at all. What do you do?

If you don't use some sort of glue they will slip sooner or later. Some sort of rubber contact cement should work fine. Just make sure you let it dry overnight before attempting to ride.

P.S. I have heard of people using hair spray as well, but I have personally never tried it.

Red Bull. I don't drink the stuff but someone told me about it a while back and I tried it, works like a charm.

Clean the handlebar really well first, pour some into the grip and swish it around then install. It's really slick until it dries, then it gets pretty tacky.

So far it's worked well for me

I got ProGrip 699 black open ended grips. I think they are little better than the stock grips. The instructions said to use soap and water on the handlebar or throttle grip, so that is what I ended up doing. Since I had not done this before, I had a concern that there were some wires under the grips that I was going to cut but there aren't any. It was a piece of cake, just had not done it before.

I use the protaper glue that I use on my dirtbikes. Hairspay works great also but the glue came with a couple of my grips so why not use it.

I used hairspray on a set of grips once, worked decent.

However, I used the glue on my Oxfords that came with them.. I kind of regret that, as I now know I will NOT be able to get them off if I ever want to swap bars. Well, the right side will be ok as its on the throttle tube, but the left is glued to the bar and since the oxfords are a hard plastic on the inside then the heating stuff and then rubber, I would not be able to get anything inbetween it to remove it.

Oh well, I really like my stock bar anyways!

Here's my question: What kind of hairspray did you guys use? I tried the hairspray trick once with no luck but I wonder if the kind of spray I used was no good for grip application or something :)

Well, stay away from the VO5 or risk looking like this. I used to look like Slash!!! :eek5:
48.jpg

Aqua net is definetly the best for 80's hairdo's trust me I know and awesome for grips but any hairspray you having laying around will do.

The best thing I have ever used is clear spray paint. Spray some on the bars and a little in the grip slide grip on and forget it. Not a fan of grip glue can be a pain to clean off when you replace your grips.

Back