replacement keys

I recently misplaced one of my coded FZ1 keys( its in the house somewhere!!)and was looking into getting a replacement.I have spoken to my local dealership and they can get me one for a suprisingly high price.So I looked around and can get blank keys from overseas CHEAP.Has any one had experience with imported keys(from China).Are they any good and do I have to take them to my local dealership to have them coded?

Don't bother reading the first half of my post. But I just can't delete it.

I had a similar problem where I wanted a copy of my only black key after losing the red master. My post is around here somewhere.

But when I was chasing black blank keys, I found that the Ebay keys never had transponders in them. They're just the actual key themselves and you need the transponder.

I think they sell them to the US as they don't have immobilisers as standard.

Anyway, I went to an auto locksmith and they had generic black yamaha blanks with transponders for just over $100. I know the OEM ones cost heaps.

Bloody hell, actually. Now that I think about it. I recently had my bike stolen and recovered. I have to get a whole new lockset anyway so you can have one of my keys. I'll send you my generic one. You can then use your red key to recode it.

You do have your red key don't you?

PM me your work address or something (I don't want to know where your bike lives) and I'll just send you one tomorrow.

If anyone wants a genuine one, PM me. I'm going to have to charge for those as I have a lot of bits to replace.

Cheers,

Mitchell.

They may or may not have a chip in the Euro keys but I'm not sure. I may have heard about someone trying to swap out a US Spec ignition that had an issue with the key working which may support that theory. Someone from outside the US might be able to shed some light on that for us.

I know what you mean by coded keys but wasn't aware that any of the Yamahas in the U.S. have them. My 2008 Focus had them and My wife's Rav4 has them. They are a good feature but when you lose one it gets expensive real fast.

They may or may not have a chip in the Euro keys but I'm not sure. I may have heard about someone trying to swap out a US Spec ignition that had an issue with the key working which may support that theory. Someone from outside the US might be able to shed some light on that for us.

I know what you mean by coded keys but wasn't aware that any of the Yamahas in the U.S. have them. My 2008 Focus had them and My wife's Rav4 has them. They are a good feature but when you lose one it gets expensive real fast.

Yea, FZ1s in other markets use the same technology that has been used in cars for quite a while. I guess Yamaha decided to keep it out of the US bikes to save some money, but it's a nice feature to have. Only way to steal your bike w/o the key would be to pick it up and carry it away...lol

Yea, FZ1s in other markets use the same technology that has been used in cars for quite a while. I guess Yamaha decided to keep it out of the US bikes to save some money, but it's a nice feature to have. Only way to steal your bike w/o the key would be to pick it up and carry it away...lol

Yeah, pick it up and carry it away is what they did with my bike but the cops got it back.

Anyway, the euro versions (everywhere except the US) have a transponder built in to the key plastic which sends a signal to the antenna which is built into the black ring where it says 'on/off' whatever.

But if you lose the keys or the ECU or antenna gets damaged, you have to but the whole kit which is about $2900 USD... like mine did.

Not needed if you just loose keys.

When you loose a black key, you can use the red key to learn a NEW black key to the system. Thats the only sense for teh red key. The manual says you shouldnt drive with the red key.
When you loose the red key, and you need to lear a new black key, then you need a new kit.

And the kit must be expensive. That way it makes no sense for bad boys stealing that bikes and just put a new kit in and they can sell the bike.

BR
Rob

Not needed if you just loose keys.

When you loose a black key, you can use the red key to learn a NEW black key to the system. Thats the only sense for teh red key. The manual says you shouldnt drive with the red key.
When you loose the red key, and you need to lear a new black key, then you need a new kit.

And the kit must be expensive. That way it makes no sense for bad boys stealing that bikes and just put a new kit in and they can sell the bike.

BR
Rob

Rob2222's right.

Unfortunately, when they stole my bike, they wrecked the ignition lock/key reader which is paired to the ECU and immobiliser.

They also wrecked the back seat lock and inexplicably the fuel cap lock.

I read somewhere that if you need a new Porsche embedded key it costs somewhere around $300. Some of this technology is silly and counterproductive, is required by law to 'protect' the consumer, and just drives the price of items higher than they need to be. Just compare the price of new faired FZ1's in the US to those in overseas markets......a lot of that difference is TAXES, Import Duties, and these safety items.

Last edited:
I was able to find transponder keys for my Focus for about $19 ea. but not for our Toyota so it appears the companies doing them are playing catch-up. The actual method for copying the code varies by manufacturer and model.

One Key Left

But if you lose the keys or the ECU or antenna gets damaged, you have to but the whole kit which is about $2900 USD... like mine did.

My 2008 came with only one black key from the 1st owner. The 2nd owner told me the dealer, this kid traded the FZ1 in (for a GSXR1000), would not give him the young mans # to ask, "were ore the other red/black keys, plus the orginal parts?"

I called the local Yamaha Parts counter and they happened to have a a few black blanks($13 each) for the FZ1. The counter man said any good locksmith can cut them to match my only key.

Hi,

since I come from Germany but now live in the US I can assure you that in the US you do not have coded keys in the Fz1, this means you can jusdt buy any blank and go to a local locksmith to get a second one, I did the same.

In the EU you need the red key to code another black key. However it is possible to cod a new black key without the red key, only the dealers will not do this. The prices for the new set is much to high you could just require to proof that you own the bike to avoid misuse by thieves. Alternatively if you do not have the red key you can install a new lock from US and corresponding ECU that might be cheaper.

Back