Removing GenII Rotors/ New Wheel Color

Got the front wheel put back together this evening. I had the bearings on ice and heated up the rim with the heat gun. I laid a thin layer of oil in the inner surface of the wheel and used the HF Bearing installer to seat the bearing. They went in with no difficulty at all.

IMG_20150401_201720_zpseupdyqi4.jpg

Once that was done I seated the oil seals with the tool and was finished with the front bearings.

IMG_20150401_202431_zps9oh1vsvk.jpg

I installed the rotors with blue locktite this time so as to not have any issues in the future.

IMG_20150401_203428_zpsnzpvqdyq.jpg

Once that was all done I installed the Dyna Beads into the open valve stem, reinstalled the valve and was done. Tomorrow I'll knock out the rear and be ready to get the wheels back on the bike by Saturday.

Got the rear wheel finished this evening. Wasn't bad at all. Freezing the bearings is the way to go. Then with a light coat of oil they go right in with the installer tool.

I started with the Needle Bearing because it was the one that I was most afraid to do. It's very thin and has a lot of surface area to seat. However, I inserted the spacer inside of it before tapping it in to give it some inner strength. It went in just fine.

IMG_20150402_184656_zpsvchnhlhw.jpg

The rear bearing was next and went in just as easy. I seated it below the groove and installed the circlip and was done with the bearings. I seated the dust seal to complete the job.

IMG_20150402_184716_zpsrkupnxnn.jpg

Next was the rear rotor. I used the blue locktite again to assure no issues when needing to remove the screws again. I have new ones on order but they are on backorder and won't be here in time for the first ride.

IMG_20150402_190225_zpskpuptaxq.jpg

Lastly I flipped it around and installed the 2 ounces of Dyna Beads, installed the valve, and called it a day. Saturday I'll get to work changing the fluids, installing the Block Off Plates, and installing the braided lines. I hope to have the bike on the road by Sunday. It will be in the 60's! WooHoo!

IMG_20150402_190827_zpstmfdn4hb.jpg

Today was the moment of truth. After a quick drive upstate at 5am to see a friend I ran back down to the garage to get to work. Things I wanted to accomplish today:

Mount the wheels
Drain and replace the coolant
Drain and replace the brake fluid
Install the Philips Extreme Bulbs
Remove the AIS System
Install Ivan's Block Off Plates

Well, I got most of the stuff done, the harder stuff that is. I'll spare everyone the narrations and get right to the photos.

Started with assembling the rear wheel and getting it on the bike.

IMG_1248_zpseusjzotl.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsmczyr6r8.jpg

IMG_1251_zpsxncrjs6g.jpg

Once that was finished I drained and removed the radiator.

IMG_1254_zpsioddnoji.jpg

Next I started the removal of the stock AIS System.

IMG_1253_zpsl25dkyde.jpg

AIS removed.

IMG_1256_zpsjtkm6wtl.jpg

I broke out the 5mm allen and ratchet tool to remove the bolts from the stock cover plates.

IMG_1259_zps5if47mqe.jpg

It's really easy to get to these bolts with the radiator off the bike. I installed Ivan's Block Off Plates finally. They had been sitting in my tool box since last season.

IMG_1262_zpscbejhe2n.jpg

I was having an issue with unplugging the connector from the AIS system. Eric was a gentleman and helped me out immensley over the phone with more than one question today. Thanks very much Eric. I knew that I told you I was going to snip the wires and leave it like that but my anal tendencies wouldn't let me do it so I kept at it until I got it apart.

IMG_1255_zpsnfbnphfd.jpg

Taped up and sealed.
IMG_1264_zpseujzs3u9.jpg

While I had the radiator off I decided to clean the exhaust. It was a good time to get it done.
IMG_1263_zps9iclfp61.jpg

I buttoned up the airbox, reinstalled the gas tank, drained the block of leftover coolant, and reinstalled the radiator.

IMG_1265_zpsoi2x4nco.jpg

IMG_1266_zpsnxtxcyrc.jpg

Next I threw on the front wheel.

IMG_1267_zpstevfeusl.jpg

I took the bike down off the stands, filled her up with coolant, and took her outside for the first time since last November to warm up and burp any air from the coolant system.

IMG_1268_zpsmmsqbbnk.jpg

IMG_1269_zpsaphwejcc.jpg

After 9 hours in the garage I was in no shape to start removing brake fluid. That and the new bulbs will have to wait until tomorrow. I left the fairing inserts out so I can quickly install the bulbs. At least I got to hear her run and see her with the gold wheels. Other set of wheels won't go in until Monday now. The guy was on vacation. Bummer!

They are heavy but would fit under a bed when lowered. I store all sorts of stuff on mine in the riding season so it doesn't take up valuable floor space. Even if you have a low ceiling, your bike isn't as tall as mine so you could still get good height. I know what you mean though about stuff, and not wanting to accumulate too much.

To me the garage is more important than the house, but I suspect my wife would disagree. Women have different priorities. ;)

Last edited:
they look great, billy! excellent color combo.

brake fluid changed or not, you got that wretched AIS taken care of, that's the worst part!

They are heavy but would fit under a bed when lowered. I store all sorts of stuff on mine in the riding season so it doesn't take up valuable floor space. Even if you have a low ceiling, your bike isn't as tall as mine so you could still get good height. I know what you mean though about stuff, and not wanting to accumulate too much.

To me the garage is more important than the house, but I suspect my wife would disagree. Women have different priorities. ;)

Lookin' good Billy. I hope the weather clears enough so you can get a ride in soon. I really like the color combo, sharp!

they look great, billy! excellent color combo.

brake fluid changed or not, you got that wretched AIS taken care of, that's the worst part!

Thanks guys! I'm just glad I don't have to look at that putrid color on the wheels anymore. Oh and yes Ghetto, my main concern was getting that system out and installing the block off plates. I was super happy to have gotten that done. The brakes won't be as hard. I use the Mighty Vac to get rid of all the old fluid so it makes quick work of it. Better pics today I hope. They are now saying rain by 1pm! Darn! I better get down soon.

Great job so far Billy, your bike looks awesome now.
I remember not too long ago you had to sell your old FZ1 and look at you now; back better than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Back