It must be getting close to riding season as I'm here starting a new thread. Actually it's just a question about powder coating my rearsets. For as long as I've had the bike, it has bugged me that the bike is literally all blacked out except for the rear footrest brackets and the rearset brackets and heel guard which are silver. I removed all of them this morning and the powder coater is ready for me with some satin black powder.

IMG_20170325_122747_zpskllodhzq.jpg

My question for anyone who has done this before is: my concern is on the rearsets, they have a pressed in bushing where they mount to the frame of the bike. Will that get ruined in the powdercoating process? Do they need to be removed first? Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just do the rear passenger footpeg brackets and call it a day. Thanks very much.

I thought the same thing about all the silver...your gonna like it...if you decide to try the carbon fiber heel plates i think i have a couple pair somewhere...i had the powdercoater leave the heel plate area silver and did the area right below that in black.

Oh I like those carbon plates! I must find me some. I didn't want the downtime for powder coat on my old gen1. So I took a chance with some high temp crinkle coat enamel paint. I left the heal area alone since I figured it would rub off. But it turned out great and lasted. IMG_8223.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing about all the silver...your gonna like it...if you decide to try the carbon fiber heel plates i think i have a couple pair somewhere...i had the powdercoater leave the heel plate area silver and did the area right below that in black.

You are right. I think I'm going to leave out the heel plates and pick up a pair of CF Plates. I think it will give some contrast to the satin black. Thanks for all the help!

Going to look great Billy! My 2013 already has the pillion sets in black so even more annoying is on the 2013, the only silver really left are the rearsets and pillion pegs! Since I'm selling Michele's FZ1, I traded my 2Bros titanium for her 2Bros CF can. I suppose I could "borrow" her rearsets and send mine off to powdercoat. :D

Looking forward to your end result!

Going to look great Billy! My 2013 already has the pillion sets in black so even more annoying is on the 2013, the only silver really left are the rearsets and pillion pegs! Since I'm selling Michele's FZ1, I traded my 2Bros titanium for her 2Bros CF can. I suppose I could "borrow" her rearsets and send mine off to powdercoat. :D

Looking forward to your end result!

I'll let you know how it works out. The coater said he'll let me know once he looks at them. If he doesn't feel safe doing the front set with the pressed in bushings, I'll do the rear brackets, foot pegs, and just spray the front brackets. I have the carbon fiber heel plates coming this week so that will kill most of the silver. All the hardware (bolt heads) are going to be sprayed as well. It should look good. I'll post pics once I get them back.

I'll let you know how it works out. The coater said he'll let me know once he looks at them. If he doesn't feel safe doing the front set with the pressed in bushings, I'll do the rear brackets, foot pegs, and just spray the front brackets. I have the carbon fiber heel plates coming this week so that will kill most of the silver. All the hardware (bolt heads) are going to be sprayed as well. It should look good. I'll post pics once I get them back.

Ok... here is just how observant I am of my own bike.... I must have been thinking of the 2009 or her Beemer... The '13 comes with black rearsets! DOH! As for those bushings, pop them out with a vise/socket pressing. Spray paint won't last and you'll be doing it all over down the road, this time having to clean paint off to get them coated properly. You won't regret it Billy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20170327_084441025.jpg
    IMG_20170327_084441025.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20170327_084607351.jpg
    IMG_20170327_084607351.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 141
Oh, and I am set up for touring at the moment. The Shad racks won't work with the Evotech FE kit so I had to put on the rear OEM fender. I also put on the pillion brackets and seat to mount other bags to so I didn't damage the Copperdog Strike cowl. I need to find an FE kit that works with the Shad racks or, since I have two kits, modify one of them to make it work.

Oh, and I am set up for touring at the moment. The Shad racks won't work with the Evotech FE kit so I had to put on the rear OEM fender. I also put on the pillion brackets and seat to mount other bags to so I didn't damage the Copperdog Strike cowl. I need to find an FE kit that works with the Shad racks or, since I have two kits, modify one of them to make it work.

Ah, I see. The stock tail probably extends the rear tail lights back farther, making clearance for the rack. I'll see about pressing out those bushings. The coater said they may be able to stay in with no issues. I'll let you know.

I used a piece of sheet metal and a Lockhart universal FE to get clearance and have it look reasonably good without the hard bags in place.

Back