Rear Running Lights

Does anyone know if there is a way to have the rear lights on an 01' to 05' FZ1, stay on as running lights and turn signals as well. The front lights run this way but the rears are off until the turn signal is used. I would like to give off better visibility to drivers behind me when I am running at night. Thanks, Billy.

I don't think it's illegal to have red lenses on the rear turn signals and use them as both running lights and signals. Many cars have red lenses as turn signals in the rear.

When I picked up my FZ from the dealer, the previous owner had tried to get fancy and installed a flasher from Uhaul to do away with the amber turn signals and use the rear tail light for everything (turn and braking)

Well, I didn't like the visibility b/c of having a fender eliminator and the tail light doesn't protrude out the back, so there is very poor visibility (I'm still not happy, but I've learned to adjust to the cagers).

Will probably require some modifications to the Fender Eliminator to get better visibility, but has anyone come across an LED application for the tail light itself?

Thanks,
BroHay

I am just wondering if it's alright to change the lenses to Red ones. Then I would tap into the front turn signals to give them the running function. I am almost sure that I have seen bikes with the turn signals in red and on all the time. I think anyways.

Will probably require some modifications to the Fender Eliminator to get better visibility, but has anyone come across an LED application for the tail light itself?

Clear Alternatives has a kit to make taillight function as both taillight and blinker. I looked at it and just do not like the one (central location) light and having the blinkers so close.

I did see www.Cooperdawg.com has the blinker pods that attached to the under/outside of the rear tail section. I have attached a couple of pictures. They look pretty good. He even has them painted with factory Yamaha paint when you get them.

Copperdawg does make some really nice stuff...

as far as making the rear signals running lights... it's possible... but not quite as easy as some of you are making it out to be... in order to have them be running lights you either have to get a trailer adapter (liked used to integrate the signals into the tail light) or you have to change the sockets out to 3 terminal sockets... with the stock 2 terminal sockets, you can't just wire it up to make them be running lights....

H-D actually makes kits that turn the rear signals into running and brake lights as well as turn signals. They give you a set of red lenses to go with the kit because a brake light must be red. I had these kits on my VESCD and my FXD. The only problem I had was on my VRSCD the turn signals would burn out at about three times the rate of the normal ones. I believe the reason was the extra juice that was hitting the lights when the brake was applied. One thing for sure was that the rear was illuminated much better for night riding.

I am just wondering if it's alright to change the lenses to Red ones. Then I would tap into the front turn signals to give them the running function. I am almost sure that I have seen bikes with the turn signals in red and on all the time. I think anyways.

Are they the same blub? Fixture? Might have to get front blinker pods and change out the rear ones with the new ones. Should definately help with visibility, especially at night (I try never to ride after dark though).

If you get it done show us some pics.

That's what I did to my last bike: I bought some used front signals and stole the guts from them, installed them in the rear and tapped into the running light from the taillight. As for the lenses, I couldn't find any red ones that fit my bike. A guy from another forum told me to spray the lenses with a candy red spray paint and then clear coat them. I was apprehensive but it actually looked and worked great. Just a thought. ONE MORE THING: is there a kit for a gen2 FZ1 that will turn the turn signals into running lights AND additional brake lighting? I know they make a kit for cruisers but didn't know if the wiring was significantly different on the sport bikes or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try Admore

That's what I did to my last bike: I bought some used front signals and stole the guts from them, installed them in the rear and tapped into the running light from the taillight. As for the lenses, I couldn't find any red ones that fit my bike. A guy from another forum told me to spray the lenses with a candy red spray paint and then clear coat them. I was apprehensive but it actually looked and worked great. Just a thought. ONE MORE THING: is there a kit for a gen2 FZ1 that will turn the turn signals into running lights AND additional brake lighting? I know they make a kit for cruisers but didn't know if the wiring was significantly different on the sport bikes or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check out the AdMore Lighting - About Us site. When I installed my hardbags I got the kit for the lens in the bags. They came with shrink tubed micro-controlers. You tap into the stock tail-light and brake light wires. Then into one wire for each signal. No wire stripping involved with the slick wire tap connectors.Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap Each of the lights (12 LED's per side) functions as running light, brake light and signal. Flashes brighter (rather than going on and off). I do not see why that controler could not be used in line to the stock signals. Most likely the bulbs would have to be replaced with LED's because of power draw limitations. It would be worth sending an email. They will get back fairly quickly from my experience. Tell them that what you want to do and see if you can buy just the controler. Then replace the incandesant bulbs with replacement LED's for the stock housing. Paint the lens like Weasel suggested and you should be set. I painted a light bulb once and it worked great.
If you look at the pictures on the site, the FZ1 pictured is mine. The shot shows the lights in 4-way flash mode.

Attachments

• addmorelights.jpg
    addmorelights.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 90
  • givilights.jpg
    givilights.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

That's the way I would do it as well. Front stock lights can be had for cheap in order to do this conversion. I really doubt Yamaha ever made a red lens that would be a straight replacement for the amber ones.

As for your question regarding the Gen II rear lights I don't see why you can't use the same trick as before. Use the guts from the front lights in the rear. The lenses are the same, it's just the insides that are different...

I like the idea of having running lights on the back also. The more visible I am on the bike, the better! Too many cagers just don't notice motorcycles on the roads.

I dont know about other states, but in Ohio if you intend to use a marker lights or combo run light/turn signals in the back they must be RED to be legal. Amber or clear light always in the front and red light always in the back (for always on lighting anyway).

I like the idea of having running lights on the back also. The more visible I am on the bike, the better! Too many cagers just don't notice motorcycles on the roads.

I dont know about other states, but in Ohio if you intend to use a marker lights or combo run light/turn signals in the back they must be RED to be legal. Amber or clear light always in the front and red light always in the back (for always on lighting anyway).

That makes sense and it's probably one of the reasons that manufactures don't put running lights in the rear since it would then entail a red cover.

My "Other Life Bike" is a VStar 1300 and I wanted to do the same thing and make the rear lights work as tail lights as well as turn signals. The VStar 1300 forum has a very detailed procedure to do this and I plan on attempting it on my cruiser. It looks like it will work as well with our FZs with minimal parts or expense.
Here's the link for you to consider;
V Star 1300 Wiki / Lights
PB

Well, I ended up finding some used front signals on eBay & bought them. I found out after I got them that the bulbs mount differently than in the rear set. I was able after a bit of "rigging" to get the guts out of them & mount them into the rear set (insert lots of patience, modeling glue or JB Weld, & determination). While I was there I drilled a small hole in the edge of each of the lenses and inserted white LEDs into them ($11 @ Advance Auto Parts). They are both "pointed" at the center of bike & they now serve as my license plate lights, since I also recently exchanged the ugly rear fender for a smaller license plate/turn signal holder, which, by the way, had no provision for a license plate light. I wired the LEDs and my running light wires (in the rear turn signal housing) to the running light inside my brake light housing and it works great. I now have rear running lights that also still function as turn signals. As mentioned, it is against the law to have orange rear running lights. To remedy this, I lightly sprayed the orange lenses with some candy (translucent) red spray paint then hit them with some clear. Now I'm legal and a little more visible. I'll try to get some pics posted very soon.

If you are going to change the operation of your rear turn signals to also act as stop lights they MUST be red. There are kits out there to make rear turn signals act as running/stop/turn lights. Harley has had kits for several years that do it and they include red lenses for the turn signals. I think custom dynamics has a generic kit.

Well, I ended up finding some used front signals on eBay & bought them. I found out after I got them that the bulbs mount differently than in the rear set. I was able after a bit of "rigging" to get the guts out of them & mount them into the rear set (insert lots of patience, modeling glue or JB Weld, & determination). While I was there I drilled a small hole in the edge of each of the lenses and inserted white LEDs into them ($11 @ Advance Auto Parts). They are both "pointed" at the center of bike & they now serve as my license plate lights, since I also recently exchanged the ugly rear fender for a smaller license plate/turn signal holder, which, by the way, had no provision for a license plate light. I wired the LEDs and my running light wires (in the rear turn signal housing) to the running light inside my brake light housing and it works great. I now have rear running lights that also still function as turn signals. As mentioned, it is against the law to have orange rear running lights. To remedy this, I lightly sprayed the orange lenses with some candy (translucent) red spray paint then hit them with some clear. Now I'm legal and a little more visible. I'll try to get some pics posted very soon.

Another option is to use clear turn signal lenses. I've seen them for sale on eBay and have them on my YZF1000, which are the same as the FZ1 (see attached pic). You can use the clear lenses with some red LED bulbs...just an idea. On my YZF I just left the wiring in the stock configuration and went with some amber LEDs.

Back