Rear brake problems - STILL!

ghetto_d

Alrighty, boys:

I struggled with my gen2 all last season, trying to get the rear brake working properly after replacing the lines. It's been dragging, and has been way too soft.
At this point, I have done basically everything to try to rectify the situation, and here's where I am at right now:

-bike has 8k on it.
-lightech rear sets, with pedal return spring
-OE master cyl (rebuilt)
-speigler lines
-venhill banjos
-OE caliper (rebuilt)
-OE pads
-(FRESH) Belray DOT4
(I only used new, OE parts in the rebuilds).

Brake is still TOO SOFT, and DRAGGING (just a bit).

I've had other people go through the whole system as well, just in case I was the problem...

At this point, I am grayer, thinner haired, and more pissed than you really wanna know. And running low on brake fluid. :banghead:
Thoughts??

My rear brake drags a little if you apply on centre stand then turn rear wheel, never seems a problem while riding though. I prefer a soft rear brake stops locking up the back end, have you adjusted the brake pedal up to get more bite on the brake. I do the opposite to get a softer pedal how shiny is the disc not glazed? maybe roughen with a bit of wet & dry. it can take a few hundred klms until the pads seat in.

I'm pretty sure all FZ1 rear brakes are soft which probably isn't a bad thing as it's harder to lock up. You might have to change the rear master cylinder to a different type to achieve a harder feeling.

Did you have the issue with the stock rearsets? Maybe it is the rearset linkage and not the brakes?

If you have the original rearsets, put them back on and see how they feel.

fz1 just has a soft rear. i can damn near stomp on the lever before it'll lock up the rear. thats with pads and braided lines (i got buy fronts get rear free deals otherwise i wouldnt waste my time)

where in wa are you again? bellingham? meet somewhere and ride my '09, see if its the same as yours for comparison

also, pnwriders moved to pnwmoto fyi, not sure if you caught the switch on that

Take the caliper off the mount. Gently tap it with a rubber mallet. The air bubbles should move to the MC. Reinstall the caliper and bleed. Or, use a Mity Vac to bleed. Or, hang a weight off the brake lever overnight and bleed.

Well, I do still have the OE rearsets. The MC mount on these aftermarket rearsets does flex a bit under pressure. And the rear caliper kinda twists a bit under pressure. Sound normal?
I honestly cannot remember how the brakes were with the OE rearsets. I'll swap and get back to you guys.
The disc and pads are both in great shape, and not glazed.

Jared- Bellingham?? You trying to be Canadian or what? I'm actually south of Seattle. I've been bouncing between the two pnw forums. We should definitely meet up some time though.

Well, I do still have the OE rearsets. The MC mount on these aftermarket rearsets does flex a bit under pressure. And the rear caliper kinda twists a bit under pressure. Sound normal?
I honestly cannot remember how the brakes were with the OE rearsets. I'll swap and get back to you guys.
The disc and pads are both in great shape, and not glazed.

Jared- Bellingham?? You trying to be Canadian or what? I'm actually south of Seattle. I've been bouncing between the two pnw forums. We should definitely meet up some time though.

wait...i'm thinking of 88dx....my bad. anyway, i work in seattle, live in bellevue. easy enough, take a spin out and try it out and feel the difference if any.

Just an update, fellas:
I did go ahead and put the factory rearsets back onto the bike to see if the rear brake performed any better. verdict: NO. so, i guess i'll go ahead and put the aftermarket rearsets back on. maybe i'll swap bikes with jared first.
who here has put an aftermarket rear master cyl on their bike? anyone? dicko maybe?

yeah, i thought about putting the one from my r1 on it, but then i couldn't find it - it's packed away, lost in the move. :( certainly didn't want to buy another one, as i didn't know if it would mount up or not.

Back