Radiator overflowing

Hi all,

I had a small accident, laid it down on the street, but didn't hit anything with it. Most of the damage is to the fairing, plus a bent handlebar and dented tank. It's been a few weeks, so I thought I'd start her up, get the water out and charge the battery a bit (I don't have a tender). The temp got up to about 160°, but the fans never came on, and the overflow hose started dripping on the ground. The radiator cap is scratched, but not broken, and I don't see (or hear) any cracks in the radiator.

Any thoughts?

Pardon me if this sounds silly, but is it possible that the radiator cap may have partially been unscrewed? Since it is scratched, something must have made contact, and if from the right direction, could have turned the cap until it is no longer to hold any pressure, which would allow water to come out as you described. Just a thought.

The fans will not come on until around 212 F.

Not silly at all! I did check that the cap is screwed down tight - taking it off completely and back on.

If it were damaged to the point that it doesn't hold a seal, would that make the overflow reservoir drip?

Back