Race Tech

Anyone have any experience with re-valving and re-springing the stock rear shock as opposed to getting a whole new shock? I am no racer and never intend to be but I think I am just a bit to heavy for the stocker.

I am getting a quote re-valve and re-spring with Race Tech components. My local shop became Race Tech certified.

Your thoughts?

When I suggested this option to re-valve and re-spring the standard shock versus buying a new shock with my dealer-mechanic, I was surprised he was in favour of re-valving rather than a new shock (which is not in support of his business as he also sells aftermarket shocks(Wilbers))
The aftermarket parts will uplift the standard shock to a good level for common riders like you and me and saves a few bucks...Ofcourse you can buy a new shock and when you sell your bike afterwards fit the original shock, but what are the chances that the aftermarket shock will fit your new bike...euh your new FZ1 when it's a new model...so I guess it's definitely worth to look at that option in my opinion....downside is that you are without your shock for a couple of days.....I have read members who are very positive about their aftermarket shock (Ohlins-Penske-Wilbers...)...it's everybodys own preference... just my:2cents:

I had a Triumph T595 that I had installed Race Tech Gold Valves and springs for my weight totally transformed the front end on that bike. I have a KTM EXC 520 dirt bike that I had Race tech Valving and spring installed. Once again amazing. I have not tried the rear shock parts but would expect them to be high quality. If you do this I would love to hear your results

How much is it to re-valve and respring? Can it actually even be re-valved? I know the shock is not re-buildable.
For $560 AUD or USD (delivered) you can get a Nitron Sport rear shock valved and sprung for your weight.
It is a height adjustable, gas monoshock with seperating piston and is way better then the emulsion type shock sport Penske 8900E and others sell.

Last edited:
Stock shock cannot be re-valved, it is a sealed unit. I have the Racetech rebound gold kit in the forks & Ohlins springs, bike handles really well. Easiest way is to buy a Penske or Ohlins setup with a correct spring for you.

Stock shock cannot be re-valved, it is a sealed unit. I have the Racetech rebound gold kit in the forks & Ohlins springs, bike handles really well. Easiest way is to buy a Penske or Ohlins setup with a correct spring for you.

My stock rear shock is revalved. It can be done, it has to be modified though. Makes a huge difference... not everyone is willing to open the stock unit up but if RaceTech can do it for a reasonable price, it's an option.

Forum member Loosenut may be able to give you more details, he is the one that knows people that can do it (and the person I went through).

Last edited:
My stock rear shock is revalved. It can be done, it has to be modified though. Makes a huge difference... not everyone is willing to open the stock unit up but if RaceTech can do it for a reasonable price, it's an option.

Forum member Loosenut may be able to give you more details, he is the one that knows people that can do it (and the person I went through).

Pictures?, how much did it $ incl spring, valve kit, oil, labour.. etc.

For the shock? Honestly Hail buy the Penske 8900E if that is the case. It's a much better shock and you can upgrade it with the remote at a later time.

What he said^^:shine:.

Priced getting the stocker re-valved in Oz and was looking at around the same dollars as the Penske. Eventually I'll fork out another couple hundred and get the remote with double clicker, and it'll be well and truly sorted.

Thanks again to Hellgate for putting me onto them:cheers:

Pictures?, how much did it $ incl spring, valve kit, oil, labour.. etc.

I can look for some on my computer at home later on, right now the bike is two hours away in a garage. The spring is the same, and fit's my weight fine. A fitting was machined into the top for recharging the nitrogen down the road or adding a remote reservoir. Basically the shock body was cut open at the bottom, it was pulled apart and had the internals modified. When put back together you can barely tell this was done unless you look close. Again, Loosenut was my hookup on this and I bought the shock from him. He told me his guy was charging $250 to do the work and used a shock dyno to get it right. It is working great for me. Now if you really needed a different spring, well then yeah your looking at more. The point is it can be done, now if money was no option then for sure I'd have the nicest Penske or Ohlins I could get.

Trying to retro-fit the standard shock can be done if you want to go to all the trouble of hacking it apart, but if you look at the $ in my book it is false economy when a Penske can be had for $500?.

Is 500 with a new spring? Not a bad deal if that's the case. Anyways, I wasn't debating what was better based on price, just stating that it can be done. I found a phone pic of one part of the mod. The bike is hooked up good in the rear and my next plan is for gold valves up front to get it dialed in completely.

Back