R6 shock question

Will an 08 R6 shock be ideal for a fellow like myself that weighs 260? If not, what would you guys recommend?

I did the R6 shock & used different dog bones to keep the height stock but after a few months I feel the spring is becoming softer even with full preload, I am 200lb with gear on.
I will replace that shock with the stock shock revalved with a new spring to match my wt, Glenn does the Traxxion revalving & puts a new spring to match rider's wt.
price is ~ $400 which is significantly less than a new aftermarket shock.

I learned that the best investment in any bike is suspension front & back, the price seems steep but the difference is night & day

Glenn also does a great job with forks to, he did mine, I will be installing them hopefully this wk end.

I think at 260 lbs you're going to need to re-spring whatever you happen to choose. The R6 shock may have better performance but it's still sprung for someone half your weight and you'll never get it performing properly.

It's really up to how much you want to spend. A cost-effective solution is simply to re-spring the front & rear and have your sag set for you. It'll make a big difference for not much money

The front end is already resprung from the PO. I couldn't tell you what kind, its has a blue center and is stiff as hell. As for the rear spring, I know nothing about how I would search for it or even where to ask. Any ideas?

The front end is already resprung from the PO. I couldn't tell you what kind, its has a blue center and is stiff as hell. As for the rear spring, I know nothing about how I would search for it or even where to ask. Any ideas?

The blue centre is the factory part. Stiff as hell is subjective. That could be anything. A suspension with the correct spring rates won't necessarily be 'stiff as hell'. Do you know what the spring rate is? Do you have any information from the PO?

This site has what you need, complete with spring rate calculators and everything: Race Tech Suspension

Last edited:
Nevermind. A little googling helped answer my search question.

So, what advantages are there of doing a stiffer rear for a guy like me? I'm in the process of trying to get back down to 220 - 230 so is it worth waiting or should I respring now?

Back