R1 vs. FZ1

Ok so I went to my local motorcycle club and a discussion arose with regards to the FZ1 vs. R1. I said that it's the same engine but was told that even though that is the case the R1 is tuned differently to get more performance out of it, is that true?

Ok so I went to my local motorcycle club and a discussion arose with regards to the FZ1 vs. R1. I said that it's the same engine but was told that even though that is the case the R1 is tuned differently to get more performance out of it, is that true?

The Gen II is based on the previosu Gen R1 engine. The current R1 has the cross-plane engine. :laugh2:

So, we have the last R1 engine but it does have a different set of cams, different EFI with less nozzles and a different air induction system. So, even though it is based on the R1, it is still de-tuned a bit to tame this beast. You can gain some of that back with cheap and free mods as we all know. :tup:

Cool thanks :) For now it has plenty of zip for me, I might do the flies if it doesn't ruin my MPG. I won't sacrifice MPG for more performance out of this beast.

The flies, ais and airbox mod did not drop my MPG at all. Only when I swapped out for the 16T front did my MPG drop. I may be swapping back before the season starts here. I think I had plenty of punch before and simply cannot use the added punch of the 16T so why waste the fuel? ;)

If it has plenty of HP for you and you want even more MPG, you can go down 2 or three teeth on the rear sprocket and/or put in a power commander and tune for MPG rather than performance. We've got a few that did this out on the net and are consistently getting 40 - 42 mpg with a Gen II. Gen I already kills the Gen II in MPG. :D

The flies, ais and airbox mod did not drop my MPG at all. Only when I swapped out for the 16T front did my MPG drop. I may be swapping back before the season starts here. I think I had plenty of punch before and simply cannot use the added punch of the 16T so why waste the fuel? ;)

If it has plenty of HP for you and you want even more MPG, you can go down 2 or three teeth on the rear sprocket and/or put in a power commander and tune for MPG rather than performance. We've got a few that did this out on the net and are consistently getting 40 - 42 mpg with a Gen II. Gen I already kills the Gen II in MPG. :D

I haven't seen anyone yet who has adjusted gearing for mpg. That would be get for touring and atleast get a 180 mile range.

So, we have the last R1 engine but it does have a different set of cams, different EFI with less nozzles and a different air induction system. So, even though it is based on the R1, it is still de-tuned a bit to tame this beast. You can gain some of that back with cheap and free mods as we all know. :tup:

So could you put an R1 head with the cams on the GenII engine? and is it as simple as changing the injectors for the R1 ones? or would you have to change the whole EFI system? That is if the R1 EFI system would fit on the FZ1....

So could you put an R1 head with the cams on the GenII engine? and is it as simple as changing the injectors for the R1 ones? or would you have to change the whole EFI system? That is if the R1 EFI system would fit on the FZ1....

I believe it would be even more extensive Scott. I think the R1 intake takes a different airbox (might have even been ram-air on that year's bike? someone chime in please...) and then the ECU would also need to be swapped for the added fuel injectors...

It would be easier to pick up an older used R1 and buy the SpieglerUSA conversion kit to make it a standard. ;)

I believe it would be even more extensive Scott. I think the R1 intake takes a different airbox (might have even been ram-air on that year's bike? someone chime in please...) and then the ECU would also need to be swapped for the added fuel injectors...

It would be easier to pick up an older used R1 and buy the SpieglerUSA conversion kit to make it a standard. ;)

Sounds like 'if it was worth the money and trouble', go buy a wrecked R1 and cannibalise it... but what year model would you be better off buying?
I looked at the wikipedia specs and the EFI systems don't look identical ... can anyone elaborate on these specs?
View attachment 5125

Back