R1 shock/spring and Satan's V4 Adapter

I finally got around to installing them on my 2012 and new Michelin PR4 in 190/50. The rear tire touches the ground while on the center stand and really leans on the side stand.

I have about 15mm sag in preload. I think 25 to 30mm sag is about right. Any opinions?

BTW I really like how the handling has improved with this install.

Mine touched the ground when I was washing it and I thought WTF. Moved it a little and just got clearance. Slightly uneven concrete. A little more sag might help a tiny bit with the side stand or you could carry a plate like used for soft ground.

You have to set the proper static sack and you have to adjust the suspension. I had to change the standard R1 settings quite a bit to get it dialed in. BTW you also have to adjust slightly the front suspension because of the changed geometry. Took some test rides but is really great. I do not have a center stand but on the race stands the rear just does not touch the ground.

Mine touched the ground when I was washing it and I thought WTF. Moved it a little and just got clearance. Slightly uneven concrete. A little more sag might help a tiny bit with the side stand or you could carry a plate like used for soft ground.

Yep. That was it. My parking space is a bit uneven and the small difference was enough to touch the ground. I found a better spot in my space and it's fine.

So far I'm tinkering with the settings and found the factory settings work well even for a 190 pound rider. I will leave the front end alone for now because it just handles the little twisties we have here much better than with the stock unit.

As far as the side stand goes, a friend's father is a welder and he said he can weld a "cap" onto the bottom to raise it a little. That may me the way to go and I can make it a little larger to prevent sinking on hot asphalt.

Last edited:
Sure that's what they are made for. I wanted to say that you do not need much clearance to do all the work you need. Of course as OldBiker stated later if you do not have even ground you might need to fiddle a bit around. The alternative would be race stands.

Another note, when I installed the R1Shock I mounted the center stand and just saw a picture form the mounting, the rear wheel also had about 5mm clearance, so I could move it freely.

Back