R1 forks vs. ...

Hi guys!

Newbie here.

I have done my primary research so I know that 08 r1 as well as 04 r1 forks should fit my GenII but which one out of the two is easier and more cost effective way of converting it?

Is there anywhere a list of parts that I will need to do it?

Thx
Greg

Sent from my mobile apple command iCenter

On post 5 of this thread, I listed the parts I used.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Cheers man! And sorry for being blind..

What's the difference between 07-08 forks and 04-06 forks? What are the pros and cons of fitting either? Are the 06 R1 forks also compatible?

What is the most straight forward swap?

I'm in the UK and parts are scarce which is also an important factor.

Thanks for your help.

G.

Sent from my mobile apple command iCenter

I did the '04 forks IIRC instead of the later ones as I did want to mod for the 6 pot calipers. The 4 pots bolt right up.

I'm 175 in my birthday suit and found the R1 spring rate fine for the street.

It is a much more supple fork and the brakes 4 or 6 pot, are outstanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Was the drop in fork height an issue, I’m concerned for safety that’s a big difference.

Was the drop in fork height an issue, I’m concerned for safety that’s a big difference.
Stevo, sad to say, but Doc's right.
If you read through the entire thread though, it does advise that you need an aftermarket or rear shock conversion that is adjustable, as you'll need to lift the rear to compensate for the front drop with the shorter R1 forks.

Stevo, sad to say, but Doc's right.
If you read through the entire thread though, it does advise that you need an aftermarket or rear shock conversion that is adjustable, as you'll need to lift the rear to compensate for the front drop with the shorter R1 forks.
Hey thanks for the reply! So lift the rear end and drop the front end can you tell me the science behind that lol?

and the main reason for the adjustment is that the R1 forks are 1/2 an inch shorter than the FZ1, so the original balance of the FZ1 has now changed.
Someone who knows bike ergonomics better than me will hopefully chime in why.

Hey thanks for the reply! So lift the rear end and drop the front end can you tell me the science behind that lol?
Nah, if you want to maintain the same stability/steering speed, you need to drop the rear the same as the front.

R1 forks are 1/2" shorter than FZ1 forks. I've run R1 forks in three FZ1s now, and on each bike I've left the rear stock height, and changed out the tyre for a 190/55, which is taller.. meaning, I've dropped the front and raised the rear a little. This hasn't been a problem, and makes the bike less lazy in change of direction, which I like.

Depends on your use case for the bike, if you want a sportier feel, the R1 forks are a good direction to go with the geometry. If you like the lazy feel of the bike in stock trim, drop the rear a little when you swap the fork out to maintain the relationship to the ground.

Back