R1 Fork suspension settings

I know a lot of people have fitted the R1 forks. How have you set them up.

I fitted 06 forks and found them very hard on stock R1 settings so I backed the preload off completely and it improved them no end. Obviously thats telling me the springs are a little bit hard.

If you've fitted R1 forks could you tell me how there set and how they perform.

Hi,my honey fit a 06R1 front fork but before to put it on I changed the hydraulic register cones and the fluid whit ohlins parts but I didn't touch the springs..Japan sports bikes are famous to fit soft suspensions thats on track never works enough to use all the bike's performance so is very strange that your R1 fork give you a so hard feeling. Generally a good start setting is half of every register..than clic by clic you can adjust to fit perfect to you.Remember that a completley open preload is not enough if compression is close and anyway a completely open or close register is not a good thing. A good garage can also control if the fork is not perfect for example after an accident and can change the fork fluid,clean cones ecc..adjustable suspensions can be open and after 7/8mil km or less if you ride on tracks,this job must be do!

I know a lot of people have fitted the R1 forks. How have you set them up.

I fitted 06 forks and found them very hard on stock R1 settings so I backed the preload off completely and it improved them no end. Obviously thats telling me the springs are a little bit hard.

If you've fitted R1 forks could you tell me how there set and how they perform.

I have standard 06 R1 forks & find them good. I have set sag & static sag and have a cable tie to show me where i am at. Stock spring-rate is .92, according to Racetech suspension calculators for my weight i need 1.00 springs but the forks feel great and i ride aggressive. I remember reading that Lee from Traxxions recommends using slightly softer springs in the R1 forks, when i have some $ i will re-spring and valve but untill then they perform 100& better than stock FZ1 forks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, for those of you that have R1 forks/front ends, how much did you guys get them for? I've seen a couple R1 front ends on ebay for $600-$700 used. Also, is it the whole front end you need to switch out, or just the forks?

600$ is right price for 06R1 fork but looking well is possible buy for the same price a fork whit calipers on to. If you have time,on tracks during country championships is easy to find a new R1 completely front from teams that ride sbk category.. Ohlins fork and brembo brakes are the usually choice so the stock parts are news and ready to sale.. Perhaps a 06 fork is difficult to find today..

600$ is right price for 06R1 fork but looking well is possible buy for the same price a fork whit calipers on to. If you have time,on tracks during country championships is easy to find a new R1 completely front from teams that ride sbk category.. Ohlins fork and brembo brakes are the usually choice so the stock parts are news and ready to sale.. Perhaps a 06 fork is difficult to find today..

I have 05 R1 forks on mine. I paid 370.00 for everthing but the upper triple clamp. I added braided lines and new pads and changed the fork oil, total cost 525.00.

I'll post my suspension setting tomorrow( not home right now) I had some help from a suspension co. at a track day I weigh 165 lbs

sorry guys..sometimes I don't remember that USA is a great country for a lot of reasons..one of there are the better prices of 2 and 4 weels market:-( in italy a new fazer cost more than 15000$ and if you crash,an original front fork from yamaha dealer cost 2200$ for side..so 4400$ plus IVA imposta valore aggiunto,the 20% tax that in italy you pay always..so 5300$(I'm using the dollar valor of yesterday vs euro). Here is absolutly impossible find a (perfect..)06R1 front fork whit calipers for less than 700$:-( you are lukely than me but if you consider that now I'm in brazil and a new Fazer cost 27000$...italy at the and is not so bad:)

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to post settings. Note I'am 165 LBS: 3 lines of preload, 10 clicks from full hard rebound, and 8 clicks from full hard compression. If you are close to my weight give it a go and let me know how it feels. BTW 05 R1 forks with 7.5 wt oil.

Sorry forgot to post settings. Note I'am 165 LBS: 3 lines of preload, 10 clicks from full hard rebound, and 8 clicks from full hard compression. If you are close to my weight give it a go and let me know how it feels. BTW 05 R1 forks with 7.5 wt oil.

I weight 190ish LBS but have found 4 lines of preload to hard, as mentioned earlier I backed mine off to 8 lines out which has improved the feel.Also I had fresh 7.5 oil put in before I fitted them.

I assumed that the different position you sit in on the FZ as opposed to the R1 meant the springs would need to be softer. I also have an R1 rear shock and have that wound up the one off max on preload (I think it's 7) 4 was to soft and kept bottoming out. The rear now feels great compared to stock. I think if I had it rebuilt I'd get a slightly harder spring fitted.

I weight 190ish LBS but have found 4 lines of preload to hard, as mentioned earlier I backed mine off to 8 lines out which has improved the feel.Also I had fresh 7.5 oil put in before I fitted them.

I assumed that the different position you sit in on the FZ as opposed to the R1 meant the springs would need to be softer. I also have an R1 rear shock and have that wound up the one off max on preload (I think it's 7) 4 was to soft and kept bottoming out. The rear now feels great compared to stock. I think if I had it rebuilt I'd get a slightly harder spring fitted.

Have a look on Youtube, there are plenty of vids on how to set you sag, static sag, comp & rebound, also look at tyres, tyre pressures and wear patterns. It will take to long to explain it here. Do it yourself or with a mate and experiment from there to your taste.

Back