Questions about R1 shock upgarade

a7x3797

So i've been considering this for a while, and I hope someone can answer my few questions....

I hear the '04-'06 shock is different from the '07-'08... I hear the latter is setup for heaver riders (over 180lb). also, what is the height difference between the two?

When installing with the shock adapter, what modifications need to be done to the fz? I have read some places that no mods are required, but i have also heard of removing the servo and some even mentioned cutting.

How much do the adapters tend to run?

what should I pay for an R1 shock? I see them used on ebay between $40-$60

Im sure these questions have been answered before, but not all in a concise manor, and im sure there are many others with these same questions.

... also, could anyone please tell me the exact size difference between the two shocks? I have read that the R1 is 10mm shorter than the Fz1, is this true?

i got an 06 r1 shock for 10 bucks. with the adapter, it levels out fine. had a suspension guy tweak the sag/rebound settings and its money. and unless you weigh under 180, you'll need a new rear spring on either one. rear can be shimmed up if necessary but, not really. after i did full r1 suspension swap, havent had an issue after initial set up

I installed an 08 R1 shock with Satan's adapter (V4). It raises the rear about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I have a stock 2012 FZ1 and can tell you that this was the best bang for buck mod made, both items ran less than $150 and it took all of 15 minutes to install. No cutting, no moving anything and all fit like a glove as per Satan's instruction sheet. Go to the other FZ01A forum and you can read his set up instructions. I don't think he lurks in these realms.

Regardless, I weigh 190 about and the spring rate feels good to me. After I adjusted the sag to 30mm and adjusted the fast and slow compression with the right damping the rear end is really planted and doesn't get any where near as upset in bumps like the stock unit did. Also with the slightly taller set up you get a bit crisper turn in.

I should add that adjusting the compression will require removal of the side panel for access and you'll need a small open end wrench (10mm or 12mm I don't remember) for the fast compression nut. A 3mm hex driver fits the slow compression adjuster.

Last edited:
I just ordered an '07-'08 r1 shock for $40 plus shipping. Not a bad price from what I've seen. It has 6800 miles on it. Better than my current shocks 12000 miles anyways

I can send you Stan's install .doc if you want to PM me your email address. Not sure if Satan has started another production run yet - like OldBiker said find Richard (satan666) on the other forum as I haven't seen him here either. My was a V3 I think and an 07 shock. Small amount of grinding but the whole job could be done in 40mins go to whoa by anyone with semi decent basic hand tools. And short of spending BIG money on a Penske/Ohlins I have not done a mod any where near as good or as big a bang for buck. Good luck a7x3797...

I just ordered an '07-'08 r1 shock for $40 plus shipping. Not a bad price from what I've seen. It has 6800 miles on it. Better than my current shocks 12000 miles anyways

send it to a suspension tech to be serviced with new fluids/seals etc and if you're gonna modify it do it before putting it on, much easier to do before than hassle with it after

I can send you Stan's install .doc if you want to PM me your email address. Not sure if Satan has started another production run yet - like OldBiker said find Richard (satan666) on the other forum as I haven't seen him here either. My was a V3 I think and an 07 shock. Small amount of grinding but the whole job could be done in 40mins go to whoa by anyone with semi decent basic hand tools. And short of spending BIG money on a Penske/Ohlins I have not done a mod any where near as good or as big a bang for buck. Good luck a7x3797...

Actually going to make my own adapter I think, there really isn't much too it... Especially when I have access to a CNC. :sinister:

r1 shock adaptor

hi
instead of using an adaptor to gain the height lost by using an r1 shock could you not use a jack up kit or different dog bones, or will that screw up the geometry?
does any one know or tried it?
twidge

hi
instead of using an adaptor to gain the height lost by using an r1 shock could you not use a jack up kit or different dog bones, or will that screw up the geometry?
does any one know or tried it?
twidge

You need the adapter so the new shock reservoir will clear the voltage regulator.

r1 shock adaptor

ahhh didn't think of that. my bikes a 09 abs model so no doubt something else is going to get in the way. many thanks for pointing that out though.
twidge

Back