Question: Oil Light?

Okay, so this morning I got a little freaked out. I took off from the garage and my oil light came on for about 1 second, and it didn't turn on the rest of the trip. The oil was just changed about 2k miles ago, with synthetic oil.

I know it hasn't been leaking, it's in my garage and there is no oil spots.

I haven't been able to go look at the peak glass to see the oil today, but when I checked it Monday, it was fine.

Any ideas? :tdown:

The same thing happened to me. It's not a problem. I just added about 2ozs. of oil and that was it. Hasn't come on since. When you do an oil change, it's tough to get the exact amount in all the time. Just add a couple of ounces and your good to go.

Cold

How cool was it? How close to the lower end of the level is it? If the oil is slightly low and the temp was cool the oil level sensor could have been fooled into thinking the level was too low while the cold oil was first being churned around. When I first started mine this season the oil was very cold and it all sat at the rear half of the site glass for a couple of minutes, and I run synth as well.

geez, didn't know our bike had an oil light. on the g2? Anyway, if I can see the oil in the window, I'm ok.

But I'm not one to ask about idiot lights. My engine light's been on for like the last 30k miles.

Runs great, so I figure the engine light means that the bike's running great. lol

Okay, so this morning I got a little freaked out. I took off from the garage and my oil light came on for about 1 second, and it didn't turn on the rest of the trip. The oil was just changed about 2k miles ago, with synthetic oil.

I know it hasn't been leaking, it's in my garage and there is no oil spots.

I haven't been able to go look at the peak glass to see the oil today, but when I checked it Monday, it was fine.

Any ideas? :tdown:

Could be that the oil level float just got temporarily stuck. As you know that oil light comes on to indicate low oil level, not low oil pressure. If the level is within specs on the glass window and the light hasn't come on again I wouldn't worry about it any further.

Could be that the oil level float just got temporarily stuck. As you know that oil light comes on to indicate low oil level, not low oil pressure. If the level is within specs on the glass window and the light hasn't come on again I wouldn't worry about it any further.

Is it the same way for gen I??? If so that would make my day! :bowdown:

Yes, indicates oil level not pressure...

I'm at work right now so I can't verify myself. When you turn the key on your oil pressure light comes on correct? Will it go out before I start the engine or does it wait for the motor to be running? If so it would not make sense that this senses only level, it might be a pressure sensor.

Just thinking outloud and seeing what you guys think???

I'm at work right now so I can't verify myself. When you turn the key on your oil pressure light comes on correct? Will it go out before I start the engine or does it wait for the motor to be running? If so it would not make sense that this senses only level, it might be a pressure sensor.

Just thinking outloud and seeing what you guys think???

The oil light comes on as you're cranking the engine to let you know that the light is operational (bulb not burt out). It's not a pressure sensor. I know it doesn't make sense as in the automotive world it is a pressure sensor and maybe that's where your confusion is coming from.

geez, didn't know our bike had an oil light. on the g2? Anyway, if I can see the oil in the window, I'm ok.

But I'm not one to ask about idiot lights. My engine light's been on for like the last 30k miles.

Runs great, so I figure the engine light means that the bike's running great. lol

Yes, the gen2 has an oil level light. Checking the window for oil level before a ride is a good idea, but if you see the oil level light come on while riding it would be a good idea to pull over ASAP and check things out because it's always possible your engine sprung a major oil leak while riding.
Your check engine light is not a simple idiot light, it is actually trying to tell you something pretty specific if you pull the codes. It can be something as benign as an emissions related code that won't likely hurt your engine or it can be something more major. I would highly recommend at least determining why the light is on before you have some potentially costly repairs. I know you are thinking "well I've gone 30k miles with it on so it must not be anything major", but new problems/codes may be stored since the light originally came on.

For Gen 1 bikes from the owners manual page 3-2
Oil Level Warning Light:
This light comes on when the engine oil level is low.
The electrical circuit of the warning light can be checked according to the following procedure:
1. Turn key to "ON"
2. If the warning light does not come on for a few seconds, then go off, have a Yamaha dealer check the circuit.

Note: Even if the oil level is sufficient, the warning light may flicker when riding on a slope or during a sudden acceleration or deceleration, but this is not a malfunction.

Back