Qn's abt making a headlamp switch

Hiya folks.

I was thinking of making up some LED day running lights for use in the... erm... day, instead of having the halogens running all of the time.

OK, so the LEDs are another story. I thought maybe I could install a switch that would toggle between the main bulbs, and the LEDs. That's simple enough.

I put the idea to a dude and he told me that the Gen 2 has some kinda (IIRC) "reverse alternator" or something to that effect.

OK, I'm pulling this out from my very poor memory, so bear with me and correct me if I'm way off here, K?

Well, to put it short, he compared the Gen 2 to the Gen 1 and said that while the old bike only charges the batt at 4 or 5K rpm, the Gen 2's charging system charges the battery "all the time" or something. And that if I made a headlight switch and turned off the headlights when I started the bike, the lack of component load would create a higher than normal surge in the system that would drastically shorten the life of the coil, etc etc....

Now, I need to know whether this is true or not. I'm no electrical expert here.

'Cos I've heard stuff about BMW bikes having CAN ECUs that might prevent a bike from starting should the headlights fail or something, bla bla bla, but again, that's hearsay for me.

Anyone here can verify this dude's theory?

If I made a headlight switch, and started up my FZ with the headlights turned off, will there be an additional voltage surge or spike in the system?

Could it damage the magneto or alternator in the long run?

Would appreciate your insights. Thanks.

Well, to put it short, he compared the Gen 2 to the Gen 1 and said that while the old bike only charges the batt at 4 or 5K rpm, the Gen 2's charging system charges the battery \"all the time\" or something. And that if I made a headlight switch and turned off the headlights when I started the bike, the lack of component load would create a higher than normal surge in the system that would drastically shorten the life of the coil, etc etc....

Now, I need to know whether this is true or not. I'm no electrical expert here.

'Cos I've heard stuff about BMW bikes having CAN ECUs that might prevent a bike from starting should the headlights fail or something, bla bla bla, but again, that's hearsay for me.

Anyone here can verify this dude's theory?

I doubt anything would be damaged. As far as I know no motorcycle alternator provides full output at idle. It would take 4-5k RPM before full output would be achieved and while I haven't verified this I can't see why the Gen II bike would be any different.

I doubt anything would be damaged. As far as I know no motorcycle alternator provides full output at idle. It would take 4-5k RPM before full output would be achieved and while I haven't verified this I can't see why the Gen II bike would be any different.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I thought that too. But he seemed damned sure of himself. He's a mechanic BTW. So he was telling me that the latest range of bikes, ie... CBR1000, R1, basically those with the automatic headlights (no switch) have some new-fangled alternator do it that way.

He told me that it would eventually burn out my magneto or TCI.

Anyone else here knows whether the alternators on these bikes are any different from the older ones?

Back