Ptsd

Hey Everyone who knows a Service Member or Veteran. Please try understand what they are talking about and realize that they may be trying to reach out for help. Most (all) civilians can't relate, it's just in your head. (edit, stupid spell check)

Many are too proud to ask for help, and are embarrassed to do so. If you listen to them, try to understand, and don't judge them you'll be able to help them.

The holidays are the worst for many people (expectation vs. Reality)

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Vets go to your local vet center. They are a huge help. May not be able to help directly for the holidays but in general they have helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone who knows a Service Member or Veteran. Please try understand what they are talking about and realize that they may be trying to reach out for help. Most (all) civilians can't relate,

" Most ( all ) civilians can't relate, "

Remember that PTSD effects more than just combat veterans. Many people can suffer from PTSD including victims of abuse, traumatic accidents and so on.

I employed a young man for a few years that suffered horribly from PTSD. Result of a previous accident involving a table-saw.

Applaud your effort to bring attention to PTSD , its certainly a HUGE problem for combat veterans . No doubt people exposed to combat have a unique experience only other vets can relate to. Just wanted to let everyone know its not a mental health issue exclusive to members of the military.

Last edited:
True good point.

I had a one of my Soldiers from Iraq reach out to me this week and we packed up to see him. We got him back from the edge this time. I hope it is for good.

Yes! I've seen the change in members of our family that have come home. It's like it takes them time to get the whole person home. Love and understanding mean a whole lot. Reality can change very quickly out there as can living conditions and identity. Be kind and sentient to these people because sometimes the price they pay is not obvious.

I was a Cavalry Scout with part of the initial push into Iraq. One of our tasks early on was to clear the main service routes into Baghdad. It took me a while once I got back to even get my head to a point where I could sleep at night. My truck (a "hummer" with no armor at all) was hit by IED twice, so I still swerve around everything in the road. I've been known to cross lanes to avoid a Wendy's bag.

Point being, there are some things you just deal with, and other things you've got to talk to people about. I can live with swerving around trash on the highway. I couldn't live with night after night of not sleeping, or waking up in a cold sweat. The local VA helped me out quite a bit. Also, even though we were just dating at the time, my (now) wife was a huge help, just by being there to listen.

-- tablet

Good luck to all dealing with it. Trauma affects different people in different ways, or not. I worked for the VA for a couple years.

There are others out here. I was was in three services, since `89. The VA helped me when younger and Now I work there. I see the young ones coming in, and there are so many willing to help. I still have issues but have learned to find other alternatives.

Be patient with all Veterans, they served this country. Hope this economy doesn`t affect our funding. The VA has focused PTSD, and have many programs for those who seek help.

The hardest part is for the Solider/Veteran to seek help. So listen when they are crying out.

Happy Holidays to all!

Back