PSR loweing link

I ordered one of these so that I can lower the rear of my bike about 6mm to get my geometry right for the higher profile Pirelli diablo Corsa II 55 I have on the rear. I have the Ohlins FGRT forks designed for the R1 so I have less room to move on the front that stock FZ1 forks. A standard 1 or 2 inch lowering link just won't do what I need it to do.

PSR Yamaha FZ1 06-13 Fully Adjustable Lowering Link - Sport Bike Track Gear

I looked around and the reports on this one seem to be pretty good (no breakages that I have read unlike another brand). I also looked around for price, Sportbike track gear weren't the cheapest on the part, but they offered a range of shipping options unlike some other stores that allowed me to get a cheaper price overall to my door.

I'll post a review once I have it in hand & on the bike.

Looks like a good bit of gear and should hopefully work well for you.

That was one of the reasons why I bought a Penske 8983, it's ride height adjustable unlike the Ohlins.

I've never been a fan of such adjustable links. When I lower my bikes, I go with a new triangular linkage. Probably overkill, and certainly not infinitely adjustable, but...
I'd say that so long as the shanks are strong enough, you should have no problem. I always look into the grade of the materials.

Pics attached, it arrived today, quality looks good and solid, to bend/break this it'll be one hell of a hit!

Attachments

• 20150716_115305.jpg
    20150716_115305.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20150716_115425.jpg
    20150716_115425.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 96
Looks good but wouldn't it have been less hassle to go back to a 190/50 tyre instead of adding something else to correct the problem? Just saying.

Looks good but wouldn't it have been less hassle to go back to a 190/50 tyre instead of adding something else to correct the problem? Just saying.

That's exactly what I did, But I am probably not a good enough rider to effect me too much, and also I have ducks disease,:rolleyes: so prefer to have my feet on the ground.

Let me know how it works out. I'd like to lower mine back down to stock height after the R1 shock/satan adapter raised it.

Will do,

One thing I have done is added an extra stainless steel 1/2 UNF nut to one of the linkage ends as there is a pin at the end of the linkage close to where the thread goes in. I see this as a potential weak spot so I added the nut to beef it up and add some extra support. I'll check once installed and if there is no issue with clearance (I don't see any issues here) I may get it welded.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    751.5 KB · Views: 81
Will do,

One thing I have done is added an extra stainless steel 1/2 UNF nut to one of the linkage ends as there is a pin at the end of the linkage close to where the thread goes in. I see this as a potential weak spot so I added the nut to beef it up and add some extra support. I'll check once installed and if there is no issue with clearance (I don't see any issues here) I may get it welded.

Yes that`s one of the reason`s I did not like any of the adjustable one`s as they have the same set up, welding should help

Last edited:
Install took about 45 minutes including

- putting bike on track stand
- hanging from rafter with ratchet
- removing track stand
- chocking wheel
- remove old linkage
- make new linkage slightly longer than old linkage
- re-adjust wheel chocks
- install new linkage
- put back on track stand to loosen ratchet
- remove ratchet from bike & rafter
- pack up and take pic.

Once I have the geometry right, I'll turn the linkage around so that the adjustment is within the triangle and the smaller diameter end is under the shock to gain some added clearance there. There is more than there looks in the pic, but I think I'll swap it for extra to be safe.

Attachments

• PSR linkage.jpg
    PSR linkage.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 101
Well I finally got it up to get the geometry set. You wouldn't believe it, The issue wasn't the geometry, that only changes a few mm from the 50 to 55 profile, the problem was the rear tire was slightly off in the chocks, it was pointed to the right causing the bike to dive to the left which is where I was noticing it most. So the lowering link will be up for sale once I get back from Saudi and have time to answer replies.

In the meantime I've ordered a new chain so I can get the rear wheel back further in the chocks and get it lined up. At the moment I can"t get the wheel lined up because it is all the way forward and one side goes slightly further forward than the other, and to bring it level tightens the chain up too much. So to keep the bigger rear sprocket, I need a longer chain.

Good to see your finally sorting out your handling issues.

I was surprised when you thought it was because of the 55 rear tyre raising the rear too much as my own bike is up 5mm higher than stock (Penske 8983 shock) and I also run shorter R1 forks.

I never felt like my bike wanted to drop into corners too quickly, it's pretty much spot on atm to be quite honest.

I run a 50 profile rear tyre and maybe one day I'll try the 55 but I'm worried that it will square off quicker on the street?

Well I finally got it up to get the geometry set. You wouldn't believe it, The issue wasn't the geometry, that only changes a few mm from the 50 to 55 profile, the problem was the rear tire was slightly off in the chocks, it was pointed to the right causing the bike to dive to the left which is where I was noticing it most. So the lowering link will be up for sale once I get back from Saudi and have time to answer replies.

In the meantime I've ordered a new chain so I can get the rear wheel back further in the chocks and get it lined up. At the moment I can"t get the wheel lined up because it is all the way forward and one side goes slightly further forward than the other, and to bring it level tightens the chain up too much. So to keep the bigger rear sprocket, I need a longer chain.

Dicko , i dont understand what happened! Was the chain too small because of the extra nut you put on the shaft ? I had a 16 tooth front , 47 tooth rear R1 shock and raised 3/4" with the raising link and my stock chain fit fine ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That`s good news , those adjustable links worry me, happy your not going to run it. To me they could last for years and just when you forget about it, that's the time they may break! :(

Dicko , i dont understand what happened! Was the chain too small because of the extra nut you put on the shaft ? I had a 16 tooth front , 47 tooth rear R1 shock and raised 3/4" with the raising link and my stock chain fit fine ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went one tooth larger on the rear with the stock chain, that bought the wheel all the way forward in the chocks.

Thanks for the info. Mine is falling into corners (slow ones) too much for my liking atm. Think its the front tyre wear but I will double check the rear wheel alignment.

Thanks for the info. Mine is falling into corners (slow ones) too much for my liking atm. Think its the front tyre wear but I will double check the rear wheel alignment.

That's what mine was doing, fell into the right handers in slow corners due to the tire wear and into the left due to the rear wheel alignment.

New chain goes on on Friday and I leave for Saudi Friday night..... typical hey???? hopefully by the time I get back at the end August the spring weather will be here. This winter has been tooooo cold for me.

Back