power problem, maybe clutch?

i finally got my bike working (after bringing it to the shop) and i have ridden it. i can tell it is a pretty sweet bike, but it's not living up to it's potential at all. for some reason there is no power. the bike can move, but it seems like the power slips around 25 in every gear. by this i mean, the bike goes and it just maxes out when i twist the throttle allowing me to only go certain speeds. i can rip the throttle and nothing really would happen except the rpms would go up, where if it wasn't acting strange the bike would be off to the races. it's almost like the clutch was still engaged when it wasn't. it has great throttle response when in neutral, but not when in gear, which makes me think it is a clutch problem. the oil hasn't been changed for a while, while the bike was sitting for a year, so i didn't know if that made a difference either. the mechanic said something about one of the cylinders cleaning itself out or something. idk, i'm not a mechanic and i just want to ride on my bike with no problems.

i finally got my bike working (after bringing it to the shop) and i have ridden it. i can tell it is a pretty sweet bike, but it's not living up to it's potential at all. for some reason there is no power. the bike can move, but it seems like the power slips around 25 in every gear. by this i mean, the bike goes and it just maxes out when i twist the throttle allowing me to only go certain speeds. i can rip the throttle and nothing really would happen except the rpms would go up, where if it wasn't acting strange the bike would be off to the races. it's almost like the clutch was still engaged when it wasn't. it has great throttle response when in neutral, but not when in gear, which makes me think it is a clutch problem. the oil hasn't been changed for a while, while the bike was sitting for a year, so i didn't know if that made a difference either. the mechanic said something about one of the cylinders cleaning itself out or something. idk, i'm not a mechanic and i just want to ride on my bike with no problems.

Well, the bike sitting for a year and the oil not being changed for a while can have something to do with it. The clutch system is a "wet" type and with the bike sitting so long, it may be that some of the clutch plates are sticking together. I would definitely change the oil and filter pronto and see if the problem persists. If that doesn't work I guess it's another "go around" at the "Busted Knuckle Garage"! :Rockon:

Change the oil and filter first and see what happens and let us know.

thanks for the advice billy. i was reading more on the subject and never realized how important good clean oil is in the function of a clutch. it was definitely slipping the other day. it was almost like i had a governor on my bike that wouldn't let me go past 40. the throttle response was great in neutral and then crappy in gear. anyway, i'm going to change the oil and filter and i will let you know if it makes a difference

well, i changed the oil and oil filter and no luck, it's still slipping. i might need a new clutch. maybe the plates are worn or something. i don't quite know. right now it is ridable, but the bike is underachieving big time. feels like i'm on a 250 instead of a 1000!

how many miles on it?

I'd look at the clutch adjustment, and if everything is adjusted properly... I'd look into replacing friction discs, and steel discs with OEM replacements and the springs with Barnett or EBC Springs.

well, i changed the oil and oil filter and no luck, it's still slipping. i might need a new clutch. maybe the plates are worn or something. i don't quite know. right now it is ridable, but the bike is underachieving big time. feels like i'm on a 250 instead of a 1000!

That's too bad. Are you sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted? Just saying...Also you say that the throttle response is great in neutral, but not while in gear. Is that because the RPMs are shooting up and nothing much happens or it just doesn't really feel very smooth even when giving it small throttle inputs? You may still have a clogged circuit in the carbs in addition to the clutch issue.

it's hard to say how many miles the bike has on it because it has been rebuilt and stuff (the new guage display has 30 miles on it, but the engine i believe has 14,050 kilometers (canadian bike) on it. the bike moves, but it is not very responsive when i twist the throttle and once i get up to about 35/40 mph and try to give it more power, the rpms go up, but it doesn't give any more power to move the bike. also when i had it on the center stand in neutral and twisted the throttle, the rear wheel would spin, but very lightly, but the bike doesn't go anywhere when i do that off the center stand so it's not a problem when i am riding, is that normal to spin a bit in neutral? (never had a center stand before) maybe it is just a matter of adjustments, or maybe it's the parts.

It is normal to spin the tire in neutral. That is just the motion of the oil that is moving the wheel on the center stand. It is actually in one of my youtube videos. :D

I'd look into the adjustment as these guys mentioned. I believe there are a couple of notches that you need to have aligned where the arm is at the engine. Then, toy with the lever adjustment to get the friction zone somewhere closer to mid-pull on the lever.

Rebuilding the clutch isn't all that bad a job. ;)

Speak of the devil

I'm having the same problem, and when I took my clutch apart, there were problems, I found one shattered one, and the second one had a tooth broken, the only thing holding it together was the pressure plate, I bought new ones, and replaced the parts, but now, it wont grab at all, I soaked them per the directions, but... It may be a deeper issue, a messed up bearing, something, mines going into the shop,, and hopefully I can tell you within the week... but if you can figure it out before then, all the props to you...

03 FZ1 (1st bike) 22k miles

I'm having the same problem, and when I took my clutch apart, there were problems, I found one shattered one, and the second one had a tooth broken, the only thing holding it together was the pressure plate, I bought new ones, and replaced the parts, but now, it wont grab at all, I soaked them per the directions, but... It may be a deeper issue, a messed up bearing, something, mines going into the shop,, and hopefully I can tell you within the week... but if you can figure it out before then, all the props to you...

03 FZ1 (1st bike) 22k miles

makes me feel a tiny bit better knowing you feel my pain too! i might just shop it and not even try myself. i'm kinda feeling lazy lately and want it figured out quickly. i think i'll bring mine to the shop and have them take it for a spin, then the techs can hopefully fix it up nice a good. keep me updated, i will do the same for you.

UPDATE: my bike is fully operational now. the clutch just needed to be adjusted. i had it too tight because i don't have the bushing for my pazzo lever which makes the lever feel very loose so i tightened the clutch too much. easy adjustment and the bike is ready to go. stupid mistake, but now i know. thanks for all the advice and info, you guys are the best and you can bet i will go to you again if i need to. thanks also for going easy on the less mechanically inclined!

UPDATE: my bike is fully operational now. the clutch just needed to be adjusted. i had it too tight because i don't have the bushing for my pazzo lever which makes the lever feel very loose so i tightened the clutch too much. easy adjustment and the bike is ready to go. stupid mistake, but now i know. thanks for all the advice and info, you guys are the best and you can bet i will go to you again if i need to. thanks also for going easy on the less mechanically inclined!

Glad to hear that it wasn't something serious, and that you can finally get riding. Let us know what you think of the bike, now that it is working for you.

Back