Potential newbie

Finally got to ride an 03 (Black & Yellow). It was nice, - shifted well, handled well, (it had motocross bars that felt very comfortable), had an aftermarket exhaust (D&P??) that sounded good but not too loud. Also has new tires. My only concern is it has 18k miles. The guy has had it serviced locally, carb sync, oil change, fork seals etc. I'm sure these engines will run to 100k w/minor maintenance, right? There's another 03 black/yell in the area that has 5800 miles but priced over $1000 more. I'm am now convinced the FZ1 is the obvious choice over the FZ6. My logic says get the higher miles if I can save at least $1000. Any thoughts or any things to check mechanically? As I said it shifted very smoothly and clutch action felt good and motor seemed strong. Thanks guys, I'm getting closer

Yellow and black color combo is known as a "bee". Does it have a black frame and engine? If so, it is original. The one with higher miles, does it loon clean upon close inspection? No build up of crud around bearings? Crud is pretty much limited to the underside of the bike? Chain clean? Sprocket combo (if different from 16/44, chance are the it has less mileage than the odometer indicates....15/45-47?). 15/47 combo would give a reading of higher mileage than actually traveled.

I've got 31.5k on mine and va_rider beats on his more than I and he is somewhere around 32k. -- both '01's but shold not be an issue with your '03

any mods to the bike? Jet kit (if so -- ported boots/airbox mod/K&N or BMC filter), carbon fiber, chain conversion kit 520, AIS removal,

Guess that might have impact on which way to go of you have the finances available (and the approval to do so.....)

Adam

Last edited:
Ya gotta love the "Bumble Bee". My favorite FZ1 paint scheme. The mileage should not be an issue if the bike was well taken care of. It's not really that much when you think about it. There are guys here who have over 80,000 miles on their FZ and still tearing up the road. It's all about maintenance. Check out both bikes. If bike "A" has more miles and is less money but is bone stock, then you'll wind up spending a grand doing upgrades down the road. If bike "B" has fewer miles but is already modded, it may work out the same in the long run. Plus you'll have a bike with less miles. Check them both out fully and ask alot of questions and then make your decision. We are here to help you out however we can. Keep us informed as to whats going on. Good luck.

Me personally would try and talk the 5800 mile guy down $500 or so and jump on it. With 5800 miles, he probably hasn't gotten to the point of pounding on the bike yet. Thats just me. I like to get a bike with low miles. Don't ask me why. I guess in some strange way it makes me feel as if it's newer even though they are the same year.

Thanks guys. Yes, frame and engine are black, and , it looks clean. This fellow was 3rd owner and said prev owner changed oils w/Amsoil synth 2x / yr. The only mods I'd probable think about would be maybe modding the carbs per some of the projects I've seen on "pats' website.

BroHay, you're correct, it's a D&D. Do you know anything about them?

FZ1 - I agree, am leaning towards the low miles version if they'll come down some. NADA has a range of $3400-$4400 appx.

Thanks guys. Yes, frame and engine are black, and , it looks clean. This fellow was 3rd owner and said prev owner changed oils w/Amsoil synth 2x / yr. The only mods I'd probable think about would be maybe modding the carbs per some of the projects I've seen on \"pats' website.

BroHay, you're correct, it's a D&D. Do you know anything about them?

FZ1 - I agree, am leaning towards the low miles version if they'll come down some. NADA has a range of $3400-$4400 appx.

I run the D&D pipe on my bike. Just go to the "Video Section" and look at some of my videos. You'll be able to hear how it sounds at low rpm's and screaming at over 9,000 rpm's. I love the sound of the D&D. Many feel it's too loud but not me.

I would definitely see about talking the 5800 mile guy down a little and go for it, provided of course the bike warrants it. Sometimes a bike with twice the mileage could be much nicer because of upkeep.

Here's my Mother's Day Video which you can really hear the D&D well. It's sort of low and mild down low (Street Riding) and really wakes up at about 5500 to 6000rpm's. My bike is also a GenI as you are looking at.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05qgzPl8Wog"]YouTube - Mothers Day Ride[/ame]
...And don't laugh when the BMW dusts me at the end of the video.

Back