Possible to add oil to 2006 FZ1 forks without removing them?

I have a 70k mile 2006 FZ1 where the front forks are low on oil. I see a lot of videos on replacing seals, but all I want to do is to add oil to the forks without taking them off the bike. Is this possible to do?

(I can't replace the seals until winter downtime.)

It is possible but, unless you know how exactly how much you have lost and/or how high the level should be in the fork tube, you'll be guessing on the correct level and that is not advisable.

Are both forks leaking? If it's only one, I suppose you could take a measurement from the "good" fork and bring the other one up to that level...

The shop manual says 91 mm, but this is with the fork removed. From your comment, it seems it is OK to remove the top (inner) nut that has the slot in it, and a spring won't pop out. I can put a little oil until I can get the seals done.

If you have the service manual, take a look at the top parts of the fork. The screw tip is for setting the suspension compression and rebound. That won't get you where you want to be. You have to remove the main cap and I think you want to loosen the top of the triple clamp before doing that...

I see what you mean. If I remove the main cap, will it make a spring pop out and then I will need special tools to recompress, etc?
The closest youtube I can find is for the FZ6.
It looks like I should be able to...

Much of his content is applicable to our bikes! 👍 The cap is under a little spring pressure but not difficult to compress. You do want the front wheel off the ground. I use a floor jack and a block of wood under the headers...

Back