Pirelli Angel ST tires

Hey there my fellow FZ1 friends,

I just recently had a set of Pirelli Angel ST tires put on my 2010 FZ1 and I definitely would recommend these tires in heartbeat. One note is that I did change the rear size from a 190/50 to a 190/55. For me, the handling has dramatically improved and the tires feel very compliant, neutral and smooth. Turning into corners is a bit quicker, which is what I wanted. I haven't had much experience in wet weather on these tires, but I suspect they handle really well. My previous tires were the original Dunlop SportMax D221 and while they were pretty good, the Pirelli's knock them out of the water. I know that these tires have been replaced by the GT spec, but if you can find a set of these, you will not be disappointed. Hopefully, from what I've read, I can get near 10k miles on the rear. I managed to put 73xx miles on the Dunlops. Just thought I'd let you know what I thought after putting a few hundred miles on these Pirellis.

Thanks for your review. I know the Angel ST is now an old tire but it was very well reviewed when new. By all accounts, the Angel GT is even better in every way so I'd be interested in hearing your comparison in the future.

I've yet to try any Pirelli sport touring tires but maybe next time I am in the market.

Hi Dustin,
These tires I received were made just last year, so I wouldn't call them that old.
I have heard good and bad about the GT spec. I may go for them next.

Thanks for your review. I know the Angel ST is now an old tire but it was very well reviewed when new. By all accounts, the Angel GT is even better in every way so I'd be interested in hearing your comparison in the future.

I've yet to try any Pirelli sport touring tires but maybe next time I am in the market.

I've been running the Angels on both the SV650S and the FZ1 for a few years now - first the STs, and now the GTs. I like the tire so much that I haven't bothered to try anything else. I just finished up my annual 'big trip', and had to have a set mounted up in Cali to make it back home to Texas. I had 15,829 miles on the front (and it was DONE) and 9,282 miles on rear (that one I had to short cycle). The last rear before this one, I got 10,452 miles out off it - but I didn't think I'd make it 1,500 miles home, so I left some meat on the table. I was gonna hit rain anyway, and it wouldn't have been a good idea to do it with what I had left on the rear.

And the point of all that? Just this, that you should be happy with the ST, I think it's gonna treat you well, mileage wise.

I've been running the Angels on both the SV650S and the FZ1 for a few years now - first the STs, and now the GTs. I like the tire so much that I haven't bothered to try anything else. I just finished up my annual 'big trip', and had to have a set mounted up in Cali to make it back home to Texas. I had 15,829 miles on the front (and it was DONE) and 9,282 miles on rear (that one I had to short cycle). The last rear before this one, I got 10,452 miles out off it - but I didn't think I'd make it 1,500 miles home, so I left some meat on the table. I was gonna hit rain anyway, and it wouldn't have been a good idea to do it with what I had left on the rear.

And the point of all that? Just this, that you should be happy with the ST, I think it's gonna treat you well, mileage wise.

Awesome feedback, thanks Paul! I may even try to find a discount set of STs in the future

Awesome feedback, thanks Paul! I may even try to find a discount set of STs in the future

If you can afford to grab a set of the GTs, I would just run those. Supposedly they give better mileage than the STs. I don't know what the price difference is between the two, but I figure if it's just a little more - why not have the latest itteration of the tire, with the newest tech.

Touche! :) They are quite expensive tires, those Pirellis, I think that's why I have not tried the Angels yet

Yeah, I normally order them online and wind up paying about $300 US for a set. While on the road in Cali, I paid $426 US at Cycle Gear for a set including the road hazard warranty.

They're worth it to me - good mileage, good in the rain, and sticky enough for anything I'm doing on the street and in the mountains.

Back