pilot8127's Trailer rebuild

Here is the trailer I picked up to re-build into a two place motorcycle trailer. It is 6'-4" wide (between the wheel wells) and 12'-0" long. The heavy steel ramps are stored under the rightside rear of the bed (pic #4). The wood planking is new, but needs to be bolted down. Note the bent receiver in pic #3. The PO jackknifed it trying to back it up. mmmhhhhhhhh , , ,, , ,

I already have a new Atwood replacement ball-receiver on order and, I just picked up some Gloss Black Rustoleum enamel paint from Wallyworld ! heh, heh,

Ohh yeah, I already have the sections of E-track and, the adjustable spring clips (w/rings) that snap in to them once the decking is secured, and, I also have the wrinkle coated steel wheel chock's that will be soon be bolted to the deck.

More pics to follow !!

Ohh yeah, here is a pic of the YAMAHAULER golfcart that I use to move it around with. :icon_beer:

Another tra,tra, trailer thread . . . heh, heh,

Gary, you now have your own thread for this rebuild! :D Go get 'em! :icon_beer:

THANKS Guys !!!

I will try to keep up with you trailer/mongers . . . . :poke:
But it won't be easy . . . . . you guys are doing some awesome work !!
I mean, come on , , , , a HUGE Yamaha tuning-fork logo ?? w00t
A totally enclosed, color coordinated, super glitzy trailermobile . . . double-w00t

The ONLY thing I can even remotely think of to compete with you guys is maybe , , , a HUGE Red & White Japanese "RISING SUN" flag complete with the red stripes radiating out that spreads all across the entire, 7X12 foot bed !!

:stirpot:

THANKS Guys !!!

The ONLY thing I can even remotely think of to compete with you guys is maybe , , , a HUGE Red & White Japanese "RISING SUN" flag complete with the red stripes radiating out that spreads all across the entire, 7X12 foot bed !!

:stirpot:

Now THAT I like! Make it happen bud!!! Break out the paint brushes!!!!!

pilot's trailer build . . .

Today my nephew and I ground down the welds on the damaged receiver and used a cold chisel to cut her loose.

We then used the MIG to fill the crater's and we ground them smooth. Next, we clamped the new receiver in place and welded that up. After it had cooled, I wire-brushed the welds and primed and painted the receiver. I will eventually paint the whole frame and all the metal parts to clean and refresh the whole chassis.

I had already picked up the assorted 5/16's bolt's and now proceeded to bolt down the new planks. Shimming and pulling to get them straight, I got just one done when the rains came. poooooo. . . .. .

Here are a couple of pics.

:icon_beer:

Job well done! What will the over-all design be when you're finished? Utility convertible to MC? MC only?

Hey thanks Eric, It is a 7000lb. utility trailer and I will be adding removable wheel brackets. The wheel chocks (brackets) are the type that use slotted holes (in the bottom) for quick and easy bracket removal without removing the mounting bolts.

I plan to mount them in the stagger formation and use the slotted, E-track for positioning the tie-down rings. The deck is 6'-4" between the wheel wells.

This trailer is a far heavier build than my smaller, lighter, single place trailer. It also has the front and side (post) brackets welded on for adding side-boards if needed. The angle iron loading ramps are stored in a special slide-out carriage compartment underneath the deck.

It is alittle rough and weathered right now. But, it will look spiffy with a good cleaning and some fresh paint !! It is built really strong. It could haul a small farm tractor, a compact car, or a commercial mower, , , no problem. Heck, I would bet that even with two large motorcycles loaded up, you would'nt even feel them back there.

Stay tuned . . . ..:icon_beer:

The trailer is coming along great Gary! I have one question though. Are you going to drill and bolt through the coupler on the two sides, or are you going to rely on just welds?? It wouldn't take much to drill and slap two Grade 8 bolts through there just for safety's sake. Just a thought pal. Keep the pics coming!

i second the bolting on the coupler. i used to work for an old machinist and he used to tell me a weld is just a temporary join, to be permanent bolt it or rivet it anything else is just piss.
guys still kicking ass at 91 so i trust his judgement.

Back