Picked Up My New Toy!!!

NJFZ1

So today FZ1riderNY (Billy) and I drove up to Poughkeepsie, NY to pick up the '97 YZF1000 that I had bought on Sunday. The bike has about 26,700 miles and a lot of those are highway miles. The previous owner did a lot of touring on it. It had been sitting since '06, but had been properly winterized last year so it started right up and ran great all the way home. I let Billy ride it back :D.

Mechanically the bike is an 8/10 in my book. Just needs basic maintenance at this point like changing the brake fluid and anti-freeze. Also the EXUP valve needs to be properly adjusted since it's rattling a bit at idle. Nothing major...

Cosmetically the bike is like a 7/10. The rear tail fairings are kind of beat up from tying the tail bag with bungee cords. The upper fairing has some light scuff marks and the gas tank has a small dent on the side, which didn't break the paint. Other than that the rest of the fairings looks good and will shine right up once I properly clean them (spray polish doesn't really count).

After I got it home I gave it a light cleaning and bolted on some of the goodies that I already had or came with the bike. Pictures below:

Picking up the bike:
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Getting cleaned:
IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

The goodies :D
IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

The finished project (for now):
IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

That's all for now. I plan to ride it this Sunday coming up if possible. Bear Mountain here I come :)

Last edited:
The bike came out awesome Tony. Very nice job on the clean-up. The hugger looks great as well as the D&D. Man, that thing shines now. I see what you were talking about. Saturday I'll run the bike for a little while to build up some confidence, and if all goes well I'll take a chance on heading to the mountain so if you go just give me a shout. The bike looks totally different from what it looked like up in Poughkeepsie. Good luck with it, and thanks for letting me ride it. It was definitely a blast!

Back