PCV hard starts

So I had a question if the tunes affects cold starts.

Here's what is happening for me. 2015 Fz1 1,200 miles so far.

When starting from cold 1/2 of the time the bike will start for 1sec then die. Then I have to hold the start button for 3-5sec for it to start again. Idle is around 1200 then raises to 1400-1500 then comes down to 1200-1300 when warm.

So does the PCV play a role in starts or after the bike is up to a certain temp?

Mods
Gutted cat
Coffman slip on no baffle
Bmc air filter
PCV with stage 1 tune from the map pack
Fuel line mod

Last edited:
I'd say these bikes are prone to a hard start (from the factory) when warm, not cold. Further, I have a PCV on mine, and have not noticed any difference due to it, warm or cold. Never have had any issue when cold. Warm start issue pisses me off, as I have HIDs. Thinking of putting a switch in the light circuit...

This is an issue I have seen come up before with the FZ1 and Power Commanders. My only suggestion would be to try different maps as I've seen threads here where that has fixed the issue for them.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

I will be getting Ivan's flash over winter but in the mean time any particular tune I should try?

Stage 2 idles better than stage 1 but stage 1 seems to pull harder and crisper.

I'm using the PCV tunes in the map pack. White something smoothed. So I'm thinking I can take the stage 2 idle and apply it to stage 1 for 0% throttle to get what I want.

With my mods so far should I run stage 2 or 1? Or if there is another tune.

Thanks for the input

As Dustin suggests a different map may help , my 06 suffers with long crank time when hot. Having just changed the can and putting a different map in , it's now much improved

Back