PCIII gains? worthit?

Octupi

OK, I have a '09 with the following mods:

1. Lars Airbox w/ descreened filter
2. Cutdown Flies
3. AIS blocked off
4. Gutted Cat
5. Slipon (dead sexy Suono)

Bike runs fine as is, at least from what I can tell in the 40 miles I've put on since doing the above :(...but the weather is going to be nice enough this weekend to let me get out and put a few hundred on.

Next obvious thing is putting a PCIII or PCV on. What should I expect in gains/smoothness/MPG (don't really care about MPG, but better would be nice)?

I realize if I go w/ a PC then I should disconnect the O2, does it need a dummy plug or can you disconnect it w/o an error light showing up? Should it be disconnected w/ the current setup?

Thanks.

OK, I have a '09 with the following mods:

1. Lars Airbox w/ descreened filter
2. Cutdown Flies
3. AIS blocked off
4. Gutted Cat
5. Slipon (dead sexy Suono)

Bike runs fine as is, at least from what I can tell in the 40 miles I've put on since doing the above :(...but the weather is going to be nice enough this weekend to let me get out and put a few hundred on.

Next obvious thing is putting a PCIII or PCV on. What should I expect in gains/smoothness/MPG (don't really care about MPG, but better would be nice)?

I realize if I go w/ a PC then I should disconnect the O2, does it need a dummy plug or can you disconnect it w/o an error light showing up? Should it be disconnected w/ the current setup?

Thanks.

Well the stock bike seems to run a little rich and that would explain why you still "feel" that it runs ok after your mods.

A PC III or V will obviously allow you to customize the fuel map and make corrections where necessary. If you're not going to run an ignition module (currently not available for the PC V) then I would recommend the PC V due to the newer technology, smaller size, etc.

Do not disconnect the O2 sensor yet or you will get the error code. The PC will include a dummy plug that you connect to the O2 sensor harness once you have disconnected it. There are plenty of free maps out there to play with if you don't want to spend the money right now getting a custom tune.

I really like the results that the PC yields. The additional power is nice, but what I like is the smoothed throttle and the responsiveness of the throttle.

Ideally a custom tune is the best route, but NJFZ1 is right, there are a lot of maps out there and odds are you'll find one that is close to your needs. Interestingly the various maps, for the most part, share the same fuel curve regardless of mods. Typically leaner on the bottom rpm range, richer in the middle, and leaner to neutral on top.

You can go to the DynoJet site and download both the PCIII and PCV software tools. With those you can open the maps and review the settings of the various maps. It's fun to compare, but I'm kind of a geek for stuff like that.

I don't have any dyno plots on this computer to post, if I did you'd see a large jump in power between pre tuned and post tuned. And again, the throttle quality is so much better, one area the dyno can't record.

Last edited:
Having just installed a PC3, FCE and smaller sub-throttle plates, the answer is YES. The big difference is that the bike pulls stronger and smoother from idle all the way to redline. The throttle on my bike is much like a rheostat now below 6K RPM and I like it. Oh and the front end rises smoothly as the RPMS hit 8K in 2nd.

I've got similar mods on my FZ and it felt to me that it was holding back slightly when pulling.

I installed my PCV and a downloaded map and it's a vast improvement!

I've just got to wait to get he custom map done now.

Back