Older Forks and Fork Seals

Today I picked up R6's shock and fork legs from being serviced by On Road/Off Road Cycles.

The shock was pretty much totally rebuilt, seals, new oil, dyno'd, etc. The fork ended up having two different springs, same weight, but different brands and slightly different length. They now match. Interestingly they recommended NOT replacing seals because they are not leaking. This bike has only about 7,500 miles on it, but they are very hard miles. The reason not to replace them is that the sliders and the seals have worn together and if they were replaced they would probably begin leaking shortly there after.

I finished bolting the bike together and tomorrow I may go for a stealth run to try it out. We raised the rear end about 1cm, as it was too low, and added preload on the front end. That was done a couple of months ago at the track and helped with turn in. When I'm at the track again we'll keep dialing it in.

Then I'll take the bike to On Road/Off Road and to set sag, damping, etc. Track day in October! :tup:

Back