OIL, oh no.....

Well heres something alot of people might not have known.There are a plethora of addatives in the realm of oil, and a couple come to mind: Polytetrefloraletheline one, sulfer and chlorene being the two others that are the most popular. Polytetrafloraletheline being known by a name we all know (Teflon). Microscopic particles of teflon. Now I think you can see that this would be a slippery agent..........if.......if, it didn't acumulate and compact into clumps, filling voids of least resistance, thus effectivly closing passages after heat has turned it to ash or melted it into conglomerates. I think most of you can picture how this might occur. It efectivly needs a temperature of 800 degrees to bond to metal, and you'll only see that as your motor is recycled (read) melted for re-use. The next couple of ingrediants used are Sulphur and Chlorene. Yes chlorine, the same stuff you put in your pool. Lets take sulphur first, it as we all know is the cheif componant of hydrocloric acid or the lesser componant we all know of in batteries, sulphuric acid, both a HIGHLY corrosive element on the peiodic table, essentially one in the same, sulphuric being a lesser or (thinned out) version. Now that leaves us with chlorine......well outwardly it might seem a good modifier, for oil, but.......and heres the BIG but, were back at square two with sulphuric acids again because with chlorine, if moisture (H2O) is introduced it becomes sulphuric acid, water and chlorine produce sulphuric acid. You didn't know that did you.! Thats why sometines the pool (STINGS) your skin, because a scoush too much chlorine was introduced. Full synthetics are a better choice because of the inherant lack of high-sulphur content crude being refined into motor oil. The contents of synthetic all are added, rather than refined out. Just by the fact that the recipie has ingredients, and that you can control the ingrediants and keep out undesireables, makes synthetic a highly desireable type of product. Now we could all aplaud the many synthetics, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Honda and a host that don't come to mind this very instant, but you see them day in and day out, and have favorites. Synthetic is the way to go if you really want to control what gets put in your oil, thuss the lifespan of your engine and trans. So there you have it .......but hay were just scratching the surface.....it might be good reading to do a search and learn for yourself, look under oil additives, and see what you find, then educate us....... :)

Last edited:
Well since I got the 05 and didnt really know how many miles were on the oil I went ahead and bought Mobil 1 synthetic along with the Mobil 1 filter aplication for this bike an M108. The oil I got for $7.50 a quart since my daughter works at Advanced Auto, so I saved a bit there, well three quarts and a filter later this bike has completly changed its personality, the shifts are silky smooth, neutral at a light is almost as though the bike knows to go there, wow, and I mean wow. Increadable difference, I can't rave enough....... excelent call on this one....

Synthetics everytime

I have been using 100% synthetics in all of my cars, trucks, ATVs, and motorcycles since the eighties.

Ever since a friend of mine took his turbocharged engine apart after 125k hard miles. We took the valve cover off and there was no carbon build up in sight. The turbo’s oils feed & drain lines, showed no signs of coking. The cams and head just had a nice yellowish glow to them.

Since that time Mobile 1 has been my first choice for everything. My motorcycles & ATVs shift better and run cooler and quieter. Except for the ATVs & dirt bikes, which have their oils changed seasonally; I typically change my oil at 5k on my street vehicles.

One thing to be aware of if you use automotive oils in motorcycles with wet clutches, DO NOT use the super slippery “Increased Fuel Economy” oils. They are not good for the clutch. Standard automotive Mobil 1 has been my best friend for over 20 years with no clutch failures. They do sell Mobile 1 for motorcycles but I can’t see spending nearly twice as much for same protection. Good stuff synthetics, well worth the added protection. Don’t leave home without it.

:chat:

Back