oil change help

i changed my oil and let the bike run for 10 mins or so. there is barely any oil showing in the window, should i put in more? i put in the required 3.17 quarts.

i changed my oil and let the bike run for 10 mins or so. there is barely any oil showing in the window, should i put in more? i put in the required 3.17 quarts.

Give it time for the oil to make it's way back to the sump. After about 15 or 20 minutes look in the glass and add what is needed to bring it up to level. I think if your doing a filter change as well it's more like 3.6 Qts. to full.

First, take it off the center stand to allow the sensor to reset. Then put it on the center stand and allow the oil to pool. You should be between the lines in the sight glass after a couple of minutes. Add a bit if necessary.

thanks

thanks for the info. i changed the filter as well. i just wasnt sure if i should follow the required amount or follow the level in the window.

I never check the oil with the bike on the centerstand. I always find a level spot to check and keep the kickstand down and ready, then I go to the right side of the bike and pull it up with my hand on the seat. Even better if you have someone to hold it up steady while you look. I see you have an 03' and I'm almost positive that it's 3.6 Qts. for a full change.

I just checked the Yamaha service manual and it only says to have the motorcycle on a level surface to check the sight glass. I guess if it were on the centerstand and the bike was level it would be the same deal. Whichever way is easier for you I guess. My line of thinking was that I wanted to check the level as the bike would sit naturally. That's why I chose not to have it on the stand. On the stand I would think that the rear wheel is off the ground and the bike leaned ever so slightly towards the front. That would send the oil forward towards the sight glass. Just my opinion of course. I never had the oil light go on this way.

oil change

yeah, i just got it and i want to go through and make sure all the fluids are full. the guy i bought it from said he used synthetic oil. I used mobile 1 4t 10w-40.

Back