OEM Michelin Pilot Road

here in Australia the FZ1 is offered with Michelin Pilot Road tyres in OEM form , they are great sport touring hoops . but are the overseas models offered with different brand / type OEM tyres ? , my next tyre change will be Michelin Pilot Road 2CT or Dunlop Road Smart ..

Last edited by a moderator:
here in Australia the FZ1 is offered with Michelin Pilot Road tyres in OEM form , they are great sport touring hoops . but are the overseas models offered with different brand / type OEM tyres ? , my next tyre change will be Michelin Pilot Road 2CT or Dunlop Road Smart ..

tried the pilot power 2ct & pilot road 2ct's very impressed the bike came with dunlop 208's but they didnt last long i tried dunlop RR qualifiers awsome fun but i can't afford to change after 350 miles!!!!! i got caught in't heavy rain with da pilot road's and i have to agree with 'Nicky Hayden' after travelling through a good few puddles they are the best ive had for a good winter over here!!!!

Dunlop D221, on the rear Dunlop D221ap on the front Not usually a big fan , but these things grab and go!!!!

^^
the D221 , is the equivelent to Dunlop "Road Smart" triple compund tyres here downunder . these tyres replaced the D220 , i will possibly try out next ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi my new 2008 NA, UK bike came with Michelin Pilot Road tyres, having ridden in both wet and dry with and without a pillion, i must say i am impresed with the tyers, and will be replacing with a new set of the same when that time comes.

Rich.

Hi my new 2008 NA, UK bike came with Michelin Pilot Road tyres, having ridden in both wet and dry with and without a pillion, i must say i am impresed with the tyers, and will be replacing with a new set of the same when that time comes.

Rich.

Aussie delivered FZ1's come with Michelin Pilot Road "OEM" , but come replacement time i will go either Dunlop Roadsmart or Michelin Pilot Road 2CT . Dual or triple Compound tyres IMO are the way to go , but each to their own i guess . ;)

Mine actually came with Dunlops from the dealer, They aren't to bad but have a flatter profile so it was a bit of getting used to after my last bike. My next tyre choice most likely will be the Michelin Pilot Road 2ct

the Pilot Road 2 has a pretty flat profile as well... I ran through a few sets... mileage was decent... nothing insanely impressive... for what it's worth, I went to the Pirelli Rosso. It's shape is much better (not flat) and the mileage is close to that of the PR2. ... Grip is also better on the Rosso.

with OEM tires, the tires are supposedly made specifically just for your bike. In theory, a OEM Pilot Road from the Dealer will be different from a regular Pilot Road that you can buy from anywhere. This is all in theory. Odds are, the average rider wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and the difference in OEM and non-OEM tires may be minuscule. On a OEM Pilot Road, the load rating may be 440lbs, and on the non-OEM Pilot Road, it may be 412lbs... Normally very small differences such as these are what separates OEM from non OEM tires.

On some bikes, this makes a HUGE difference, and the differences between OEM and non-OEM tires is much larger. Take the larger Harleys and Goldwings as an example. The OEM tire is going to be made to be able to handle a bike that weighs almost 1000 lbs. While you can get the same sized tire in other brands and styles, you must use scrutiny when looking at the load rating of the tires. Putting tires made for a 400 lb bike onto a 1000 lb bike can easily become catastrophic.

Since our FZ's aren't amazingly heavy, and generally won't go over 150-160mph, we have a pretty wide choice of tires. However, if you have all of the luggage, and make a habit of cruising around 2-up with the bags fully loaded at all times, you might want to start looking at tires that will handle the additional load. As I said above, normally this isn't a problem, but it is something to think about.

with OEM tires, the tires are supposedly made specifically just for your bike. In theory, a OEM Pilot Road from the Dealer will be different from a regular Pilot Road that you can buy from anywhere. This is all in theory. Odds are, the average rider wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and the difference in OEM and non-OEM tires may be minuscule. On a OEM Pilot Road, the load rating may be 440lbs, and on the non-OEM Pilot Road, it may be 412lbs... Normally very small differences such as these are what separates OEM from non OEM tires.

On some bikes, this makes a HUGE difference, and the differences between OEM and non-OEM tires is much larger. Take the larger Harleys and Goldwings as an example. The OEM tire is going to be made to be able to handle a bike that weighs almost 1000 lbs. While you can get the same sized tire in other brands and styles, you must use scrutiny when looking at the load rating of the tires. Putting tires made for a 400 lb bike onto a 1000 lb bike can easily become catastrophic.Since our FZ's aren't amazingly heavy, and generally won't go over 150-160mph, we have a pretty wide choice of tires. However, if you have all of the luggage, and make a habit of cruising around 2-up with the bags fully loaded at all times, you might want to start looking at tires that will handle the additional load. As I said above, normally this isn't a problem, but it is something to think about.

Thanks for the explanation,, now I know.............

I have about 5k on the PR's and maybe I'll 6k, these tires stick well for me and have lasted the longest out of any tire I have ever owned.

same here just about 6K still looks new, but recently they're slippin n sliding (rear) gotta say it does recover, but still scary for me, starting to feel like i'm on a dirt bike again

tires

06 FZ1 came with pilot road, put pilot power on, excellent traction lasted about 4000 miles and the last set I put on were pilot road 2ct. I like these tires and I have about 5000 miles with plenty of tread left.

Mine came standard with the Pilot Road's also, and I can't wait to change them because I've had so many scary moments on them.
My previous bike had Bridgestone 020's on them and they were definitely better.
I am looking out for a good deal on a set now, but I will be looking for something more on the sportier side of touring tires.
A dealer who sells all the big brands told me the Pilot Road 2's are a big improvement on the old Pilot Roads, but like VA_RIDER I want something with a rounder profile so it feels more positive tipping into the corners.

Back