Not running right

v-petn

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my bike and not sure what's going on. I have the faulty FCE which is still on there. I;ve got BMC air filter, air box mod, gutted cat and slip on. AIS is still there but blocked off. Basically If I cruising at 4500rpm, I get this hesitation feeling. That I can deal with but the other issue I finding it's annoying and not sure if it's the throttle snatch issue or something else. I'll try and describe it as best I can. If I accelerate hard and then attempt to change gear, I get that massive abrup[t jolt. If I do it slowly then I get a slight hesitation and a lot of popping from the exhaust. Is it meant to do this?

Maybe I should check the error code (not sure how to do that). I'll probably remove the faulty FCE and see if that makes a difference...

my 06 was exactly the same as you describe , really bugged me ,have since changed the ecu for a later one . no probs now ,changes gear nice and smooth in the higher rev band

Same thing here

My '06 does the same thing...drives me crazy. AIS removed, Yoshi slip-on, K&N air filter, header CAT removed, airbox mod...everything else stock. I'm seriously considering Ivan's FCE but didn't know if that would help the hesitation and popping between shifts (around 4-6K RPM). Would I be better off to buy a Power Commander instead of the FCE? Btw, yes, I realize the FCE is basically going to help smooth out the throttle response, while the PC will allow fuel/ignition mapping. Just didn't know which one would help the hesitation most. Who can help me?

My '06 does the same thing...drives me crazy. AIS removed, Yoshi slip-on, K&N air filter, header CAT removed, airbox mod...everything else stock. I'm seriously considering Ivan's FCE but didn't know if that would help the hesitation and popping between shifts (around 4-6K RPM). Would I be better off to buy a Power Commander instead of the FCE? Btw, yes, I realize the FCE is basically going to help smooth out the throttle response, while the PC will allow fuel/ignition mapping. Just didn't know which one would help the hesitation most. Who can help me?
There is little doubt that your 06 suffers from throttle snatch that originates with the fuel cut on deceleration. Your "hesitation" is at least in part a result of the fuel cut. The FCE will eliminate the fuel cut and should make a night and day difference on driveability. . . . Sorry to say that the stock fuel mapping is also less than ideal and with your mods you are on the hairy edge of what it will work with. You would in no doubt benefit from a Power Commander and an appropriate map. Neither are substitutes for each other. Have fun!

Last edited:
Wow!

Yep, wow! That's my first reaction to riding my bike with the new FCE installed. FINALLY, the bike feels like it should...without all the hesitation and popping. It feels like I'm riding a well tuned carb bike. This made all the difference in the world in smoothness, too. I'm a believer. Granted, I'm sure the PC3 would wake it up a lot but my main gripe was the hesitation/popping between shifts, which is now GONE! The down side?---> $10 worth of parts cost me $200 but I'm happy so I guess it's a moot point. Without a doubt the best thing I've done to the bike.

Back