Noob's ABS question...

K

k27

Hi, guys, how hard do you think it would be to build an ABS system in a Gen 1 FZ1?

ABS is easy... don't stomp on the rear brake lever so hard...

:p Just kidding.

Where do you find yourself locking the brakes? (Rear only or front as well?) or is this more for peace of mind?

I find I lock up the rear wheel due to the weak stock springs in the suspension. Under heavy, sharp braking I bottom out the front suspension and take all load off the rear suspension. Heavier duty fork springs should help keep me from transferring too much weight off the rear.

I may also replace the brake lines with some steel braided lines.

ABS is easy... don't stomp on the rear brake lever so hard...

:p Just kidding.

Where do you find yourself locking the brakes? (Rear only or front as well?) or is this more for peace of mind?

I find I lock up the rear wheel due to the weak stock springs in the suspension. Under heavy, sharp braking I bottom out the front suspension and take all load off the rear suspension. Heavier duty fork springs should help keep me from transferring too much weight off the rear.

I may also replace the brake lines with some steel braided lines.

There's a rear brake?

Without access to factory engineers practically impossible. A lot easier to sell the Gen I and buy a Gen II with ABS :)

Well, I like to modify and customize my bike instead of going the easy way - there is no fun in "upgrading" by buying the newer version. For me the fun is to upgrade the Gen 1 to modern standards that no one would expext to find in an old bike. And by the way, I like the Gen 1 (especially as naked as possible) more than Gen 2 which looks too 'robotic' to me. No offence to Gen 2 owners, I guess it is just a matter of individual taste.

My intention is to get a second-hand complete ABS system from Gen 2 (or another newer bike) and adapt it to mine. The greatest challenge in that, in my point of view, would be the installation of the wheel sensors which will need further customizing and fabrication of wheel rings and sensor mounts. The other components, e.g. computer, pump and additional break lines should be easily mounted, linked and wired.

Since in Gen 2 there is no "fly-by-wire" throttle control or traction systems integrated (as for example in the new BMW S1000RR), the Gen 2 ABS system should work stand-alone-like, not needing other systems inputs, but only the wheel sensors and front and rear brake levers switches signals.

I might be wrong, though, since I do not have a description of Gen 2 ABS system operation and at the moment I am only guessing how it should work like.

Rear brake spring.

I have found for me the rear brake spring was to heavy. I have changed my rear brake clevis to the ZETA KX 450 blue ali clevis. It matches the rest of my blue anodized parts and weighs 2.5 grams lighter,yer big deal but it looks good. I made a lighter spring out of some old springs I had yes the lighter you go the easyer to lock the back wheel at slow speed but I got used to it now and have better control with rear wheel braking

Well, I like to modify and customize my bike instead of going the easy way - there is no fun in "upgrading" by buying the newer version. For me the fun is to upgrade the Gen 1 to modern standards that no one would expext to find in an old bike. And by the way, I like the Gen 1 (especially as naked as possible) more than Gen 2 which looks too 'robotic' to me. No offence to Gen 2 owners, I guess it is just a matter of individual taste.

My intention is to get a second-hand complete ABS system from Gen 2 (or another newer bike) and adapt it to mine. The greatest challenge in that, in my point of view, would be the installation of the wheel sensors which will need further customizing and fabrication of wheel rings and sensor mounts. The other components, e.g. computer, pump and additional break lines should be easily mounted, linked and wired.

Since in Gen 2 there is no "fly-by-wire" throttle control or traction systems integrated (as for example in the new BMW S1000RR), the Gen 2 ABS system should work stand-alone-like, not needing other systems inputs, but only the wheel sensors and front and rear brake levers switches signals.

I might be wrong, though, since I do not have a description of Gen 2 ABS system operation and at the moment I am only guessing how it should work like.

No offense taken...Different people have different tastes...you happen to like the Gen I over the Gen II and I'm the other way around ;)

And yes I agree with you about the mounting of the wheel sensors and rings. However, I think that will turn out to be easier than the electronics part because you can always fabricate whatever mechanical part you need.

I don't know how the Yamaha ABS system integrates with the rest of the electronics on the bike so I think that's where you'll run into the biggest challenge. Good luck with the project if you move forward with it and keep us informed ;)

Last edited:
I guess that concludes the discussion, except only if someone has tried (thought of) it.
Thanks anyway. :)

Back