Non-FZ1 tech Q: Dual spark plugs

Phil_RC_1

I have an old 2 stroke dirt bike (1977 IT250). It has a second spark plug hole in the head, but in the OEM parts breakdown it shows this hole plugged. I know a spark plug fits and doesn't have any clearance issue's because when I bought it, it had a second spark plug in that hole. I would like to use dual plugs. If I change out the coil with one that has dual plug wires, and use two spark plugs, (Even though the OEM diagram doesn't show dual plugs, and the Clymers manual doesn't show two plugs). Does anyone think there would be any possible issues using two plugs?

Thanx, Phil

I had one years ago with the two plugs. Back then it seemed as though fouling was a huge problem. The second plug was a spare always ready to go. I never thought of getting them both to fire.

It very well might have been for a compression releif, not a second plug. Depending on how much load is already on the ignition system, primary and seondary side, a second plug might be too much load to get any spark at all or a dimished spark. If it runs well on a single plug, I wouldn't fix something that's not broken

Back