No start/no power?

Well guys, I've been riding my bike everyday up to yesterday. Now today I did my usual cleaning and was about to go to walmart. I turn the key press the start button and heard a click from the rear, under the seat. I took the seat off and repeated and yet another click. Now I'm worried so I turned the key off, and turned it back on and now, "NO POWER" Do batteries die just like that?

Heck I just sold my cruiser last week so I dont have another bike to jump it off. Any ideas?

Ignition fuse is good. How do you tell by visual inspection if you've blown the main fuse?

Last edited:
If main fuse was blown, you'd get nothing, no lights, no gauges...nada.

I suppose your battery could have suffered a catastrophic internal shorting of a few of the cells, but that is unlikely. Usually batteries will give you a sign that they are on they way out (slow cranking for one).

Well I took the battery to ADV Auto, and the printout ays replace battery, so i went to "The Battery Source" to buy a new batter and ask the guy there to test it. He said it's holding a 9.4V which is not bad for that type of batery.

So now I'm really confused, and don't know if it's the battery or main fuse. I took the main fuse out but I have no way of telling if it's bad or not. Is there a test, like the do for battery?

Well I took the battery to ADV Auto, and the printout ays replace battery, so i went to "The Battery Source" to buy a new batter and ask the guy there to test it. He said it's holding a 9.4V which is not bad for that type of batery.

So now I'm really confused, and don't know if it's the battery or main fuse. I took the main fuse out but I have no way of telling if it's bad or not. Is there a test, like the do for battery?

The battery is definitely "dead" at 9.4V, but I'm not saying it's bad. It should be registering at least 12V if it has any type of charge in it so I don't know what they guy meant by that. Do you have a battery tender (or some other type of charger). You could try charging it to see if it takes/holds a charge.

You can use a simple multi-meter to check the main fuse. You want to make sure that there is continuity across it. If you don't own a multi-meter you may want to consider investing in one. I'm sure it will come in handy at some point down the road as well. Plus once you get the bike running you may want to check to make sure that the alternator is putting out at least 14V when measured across the battery terminals.

Last edited:
The battery is definitely "dead" at 9.4V, but I'm not saying it's bad. It should be registering at least 12V if it has any type of charge in it so I don't know what they guy meant by that. Do you have a battery tender (or some other type of charger). You could try charging it to see if it takes/holds a charge.

You can use a simple multi-meter to check the main fuse. You want to make sure that there is continuity across it. If you don't own a multi-meter you may want to consider investing in one. I'm sure it will come in handy at some point down the road as well. Plus once you get the bike running you may want to check to make sure that the alternator is putting out at least 14V when measured across the battery terminals.

Ok thanks. I did put it on my battery tender but man, that's going to be a long wait lol. I ride EVERYDAY. Well off to buy the cheapest best quality Multimeter.

9.4? Sorry to disagree, but that's not good. Could be a bad cel, or just worn out, but if you ride daily that battery should be hanging around a volt or two of 12 volts. But I'm just an electrician. :)

9.4? Sorry to disagree, but that's not good. Could be a bad cel, or just worn out, but if you ride daily that battery should be hanging around a volt or two of 12 volts. But I'm just an electrician. :)

Yea I'm thinking the same, theres no way it should just drop off the face of the earth with out some indications. MTF on main fuse.

This has become a nightmare

So I got a new battery installed it, and as soon as I connect the Neg cable, my main fuse blew. Ok no biggie, went to advancee auto bout 2 new fuses one I couldn't get it to fit but the other went in just fine. Connected battery again and all hell broke looses. Smoke from under the seat followed by sparks.

Hell I'm starting to think that my bike got hit by lightning the day before I had problems. The last day I rode it we had 20 mins worth of 40MPH winds, and rain/lightning. However I don't see any signs of it possibly being hit by lightning (bike sleeps outside). So off to the dealership I go on monday because I am not an electrician nr do I mees with anything electrical related.

Funny how my warranty expied last month and I have my first issue with the bike now hmmm. I am pissed. I've got 4 days off from work for the Holiday and I can't ride :banghead:

Did you look through the wiring to see if anything is shorting out to
Anything? Maybe it rubbed through while you were riding. You put the same amperage fuse back in correct? Sorry to hear about the issue. Electrical stuff in vehicles is SUCH a pain!

Anything? Maybe it rubbed through while you were riding. You put the same amperage fuse back in correct? Sorry to hear about the issue. Electrical stuff in vehicles is SUCH a pain!

Yes I looked but couldn't see anything out of the norm. As for fuse yes it's a 50AMP just like the stock, same color and everything. Thanks for trying to help but this is where I quit and let the more experience folks do their thing. Unfortunately that won't be until tomorrow :(. Ok I'm going and jump off the highest bridge I could find now :)

I was going to say the same thing Missy. If that fuse is blowing as soon as he connects the battery cable, there is definitely something shorting to ground. That, and he said he was riding in rain and 40mph winds. I'd check the switches on the handlebars as well. Maybe spray some contact cleaner on them to displace any water that may have "puddled" up in there.

I was going to say the same thing Missy. If that fuse is blowing as soon as he connects the battery cable, there is definitely something shorting to ground. That, and he said he was riding in rain and 40mph winds. I'd check the switches on the handlebars as well. Maybe spray some contact cleaner on them to displace any water that may have "puddled" up in there.

No I wasn't riding in rain, but that was the last day of my riding. I came home from work, and an Hr later storm hit, I guess water could have gotten into places it shouldn't have. eshhhhh

No I wasn't riding in rain, but that was the last day of my riding. I came home from work, and an Hr later storm hit, I guess water could have gotten into places it shouldn't have. eshhhhh

Oh, okay. Then the bike was sitting out in the storm? I would just take a look at both the Kill Switch, and Starter Switch to make sure there is no water puddled up in there. Blow them out with a compressor and spray them with some contact cleaner. It's just strange that this is occuring after it sat in the rain. It's easy to check and may save you the trouble of having to pay someone to troubleshoot and repair.

Dumb question but did you get the polarity on the battery correct?
You know + to red - to black?

Not a dumb question at all. It's actually he strangest thing I've ever seen in my life concerning battery but mine might be reversed. I spent hours staring at it, however if we install my battery there is no way the red wire is lining up with the positive side. Same with the battery that I took out that's been in there for a year since Ive owned the bike.
Someone will think I'm smoking crack here so I will not got further with this.:wtf: :shame:

Yea stupid dealer was closed today. Everything must be happening for a reason. I probably would have been riding like an a$$ this weekend so this must be a sign. A freaking annoying one, but one anyways. Sighhh. You know on my cruiser I've changed/Charged my battery twice while deployed so I know about polarity. Plus I've done this on my car, wife's van etc. While I'm no bike mechanic, changing a battery is pretty basic. Apparently not this time.

Last edited:
Not a dumb question at all. It's actually he strangest thing I've ever seen in my life concerning battery but mine might be reversed. I spent hours staring at it, however if we install my battery there is no way the red wire is lining up with the positive side. Same with the battery that I took out that's been in there for a year since Ive owned the bike.
Someone will think I'm smoking crack here so I will not got further with this.:wtf: :shame:

Well we are here to help so if you post up some pics we might be able to offer some further advice and save you a trip to the dealer. For the main fuse to be blowing like that there obviously needs to be a ground fault in the wiring leading to the battery as all other circuits should have their own individual fuses...

I appreciate all the help. If it were mechanical I would definitely pursue a fix through the knowledgeable folks here, but electrical? Not my thing. I Dropped it off this morning and they say it may be my rectifier. They will let me know for sure once they do some checks. I will figure out how i want to proceed from there. Rectifier doesn't sound cheap and I'm not about to dump anything more than $250 on it now. Time to google the cost of one assuming that'll be the problem.

I appreciate all the help. If it were mechanical I would definitely pursue a fix through the knowledgeable folks here, but electrical? Not my thing. I Dropped it off this morning and they say it may be my rectifier. They will let me know for sure once they do some checks. I will figure out how i want to proceed from there. Rectifier doesn't sound cheap and I'm not about to dump anything more than $250 on it now. Time to google the cost of one assuming that'll be the problem.

RECTIFIER & REGULATO
1D7-81960-00-00 1 $132.83

The above is quoted out from Partshark.com Seems like a decent price.

RECTIFIER & REGULATO
1D7-81960-00-00 1 $132.83

The above is quoted out from Partshark.com Seems like a decent price.

You're the man. Thank you much. Lets see if that's the problem and how much the stealership will quote me for that part. I will politely inform them that I will try to get the part. I saw where it goes and I think I can do that myself.

Update

Well after 5 days at the dealership, they finally got to my bike and confirmed that the rectifier/regulator is toasted. So for $236+tax and $45 install I can have my bike in good working order again. What ARE they smoking :shaking head:? Even at MSRP the regulator is only $209 as FZ1rider pointed out to me, so I am not sure how they came up with that figure. I politely told them I will bring them the part, and I went online and bought it for $132. I will give them the business of install to keep the relationship wheel lubed. They've been pretty good to me, but maybe, that's because I've never had to buy a part from them before haha.

This is the longest stretch I've been without my bike except for when i was on vacation last yr for 15 days. Winter, still rode, not everyday but the itch outweighed the discomfort of the cold. This cannot happen too many more times.

BTW what causes a rectifier to go out?

Back