No more popping and gurgling!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
We had our mod fest in NH today. Four riders were here with three bikes torn down.

On my FZ1, I did the AIS block-off and the LARS airbox mod but didn't reroute any cables. Now, I didn't have a marble to stuff in the tubing but you know what else fits? An electrical wire nut. :D I moved the clamp down the tubing, stuffed the nut in small end first, then packed it with silicone and let it cure. I clamped it back onto the airbox after cutting out the base plate holding the snorkel and smoothing all the edges.

After putting it all back together, the shakedown run was great! No more popping, no more gurgling on deceleration. Once in a while, if I backed off then snapped the throttle, it would give one loud pop but that is easily controllable. This will have to do until I get a PC V and load a good map.

The other two bikes modded were both FZ6's with one doing an airbox mod and the other putting in Racetech 1.0 KG springs and 15w fork oil. Those both went without any trouble at all. Those springs and oil really planted the front end on that FZ6 nicely. Now the rear feels too soft so he is off to see about a rear spring and heavy oil for that issue. :D

All in all, a prefect day with some very successful work! :Rockon:

Yeah, yesterday I found a smokin' deal for some Pilots 2cts (normally 280.00 --OTD for 225.00 with Tax) and then found a place that would install both tires/mount/balance (hand carry in) for just under 50.00.

So, while I was removing the wheels, I decided to go hog wild (again) and do some of the necessary maintenance/cleaning. If I had a working computer, I'd take a picture and show -- but I have nothing on the back end and the front is just braced.

Lubing up all the points. Swingarm is off the bike. Going back to my raised links.

The only thing that I did install new was a superbrace forkbrace. Everything else if just cleaning. And the new rubber :D that I hopefully can go for a ride in the am...

So, may not have been able to be the in person...but was there in spirit.

Adam

Last edited:
Well Adam, it was a productive day for you at least! Well done! There's probably not a lot more mods you can do to your bike, is there?

All the pics taken were on another guys camera so I'm waiting to see what is uploaded. Should have some "interesting" shots to post. :D

Have a great Father's Day tomorrow!

If you only knew....

Carb Kit/port boots/airbox mod/timing advance--going on forever since I said I was going to start
Have lowers coming (got to keep Billy honest)
get the rear Fox shock rebuilt/sprung for my weight
Ceramic coat the exhaust
paint the forks (black)
Get my 2nd set of body work painted
Clearcoat Carbon Fiber
paint the frame (black)
Add the AK-20 cartriges to my already Traxxion modded forks...

Care to add to the list in case I've missed rebuilding the entire bike????

****plus, I've still got to put her back together again for tomorrow morning.

Adam

We had our mod fest in NH today. Four riders were here with three bikes torn down.

On my FZ1, I did the AIS block-off and the LARS airbox mod but didn't reroute any cables. Now, I didn't have a marble to stuff in the tubing but you know what else fits? An electrical wire nut. :D I moved the clamp down the tubing, stuffed the nut in small end first, then packed it with silicone and let it cure. I clamped it back onto the airbox after cutting out the base plate holding the snorkel and smoothing all the edges.

After putting it all back together, the shakedown run was great! No more popping, no more gurgling on deceleration. Once in a while, if I backed off then snapped the throttle, it would give one loud pop but that is easily controllable. This will have to do until I get a PC V and load a good map.

The other two bikes modded were both FZ6's with one doing an airbox mod and the other putting in Racetech 1.0 KG springs and 15w fork oil. Those both went without any trouble at all. Those springs and oil really planted the front end on that FZ6 nicely. Now the rear feels too soft so he is off to see about a rear spring and heavy oil for that issue. :D

All in all, a prefect day with some very successful work! :Rockon:

Sounds like you had a blast. How was the BBQ? Me, I sat at work until 2pm playing solitaire and listening to the rain. Then I came home and put the TV on and listened to some more rain. I can't wait to see some pics. I'll be doing the A.I.S. removal really soon. So there was a big difference hey?? I have no backfiring since the jet kit but do have some gurgling on decel which I want to address.

Sounds like you had a blast. How was the BBQ? Me, I sat at work until 2pm playing solitaire and listening to the rain. Then I came home and put the TV on and listened to some more rain. I can't wait to see some pics. I'll be doing the A.I.S. removal really soon. So there was a big difference hey?? I have no backfiring since the jet kit but do have some gurgling on decel which I want to address.

The weather called for showers but we had sun and not a drop of rain. Clouded up a couple times then blew on by. :D Someone watcheth over us today. :innocent0002:

The BBQ was a smash, good food and good people. Everyone had their fill and all the mods performed went off without a hitch. We got done nearly all we wanted to do. Looks like another mod fest coming though because what one did, the other didn't and now they all want what the others have! :D

Sorry you had to work and even more sorry it was raining. See? You should have played hookey and came up here! ;)

I hope Sunday is a much better day for ya! :icon_beer:

Oh, didn't answer your question, now did I?

Yes, it was a night and day difference in the popping. It sounded like hell before, no matter how little you let off the throttle, she's pop all the way down to idle. Now, there's just nothing at all but I can MAKE it pop a good one with an open, close then snap of the throttle. But if you're rolling on and back off smoothly, nothing but clean sweet TB resonance!

I'm unsure about the GEN I but it sure worked wonders for this GEN II. I only blocked off the tube and sealed it. I didn't remove anything at all and the tube was reconnected to the airbox. The LARS airbox mod was super simple. Yamaha could have put a few less screws in the damned cover though. :D

Oh, and I did de-screen the stock filter as well. It only stands to reason that it provides a bit more air flow.

Oh, didn't answer your question, now did I?

Yes, it was a night and day difference in the popping. It sounded like hell before, no matter how little you let off the throttle, she's pop all the way down to idle. Now, there's just nothing at all but I can MAKE it pop a good one with an open, close then snap of the throttle. But if you're rolling on and back off smoothly, nothing but clean sweet TB resonance!

I'm unsure about the GEN I but it sure worked wonders for this GEN II. I only blocked off the tube and sealed it. I didn't remove anything at all and the tube was reconnected to the airbox. The LARS airbox mod was super simple. Yamaha could have put a few less screws in the damned cover though. :D

Oh, and I did de-screen the stock filter as well. It only stands to reason that it provides a bit more air flow.

Not sure if the AIS removal for a first gen is the same as ours.

Yesterday was a busy day for me as well. Installed my Yoshimura R-77 CF full exhaust. Man that thing is light! Also decided to remove the center stand for some additional weight savings. I have swing arm spools and some nice Pit Bull stands so it's no great loss. Also removed the screen from the stock filter, but I didn't mod my airbox yet. Waiting for my PC V to come in :waiting:

Oh and I found some nice surprises! Upon closer inspection of the bike it turns out it has Ivan's FCE and AIS block off plates :D. No wonder I couldn't figure lout what all those '06 owners were complaining about with the throttle snatch...lol

Now I just need this rain to stop...

The exhaust must sound killer. I love the tone of the Yosh systems. If I ever decide to change the D&D, thats what I'll be going with. They'll be hearing you up on the mountain no doubt!

It's not raining here but it's still damp and nasty out. I just got back from church and I made sure I said a special prayer for some sunlight today. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Not sure if the AIS removal for a first gen is the same as ours.

Yesterday was a busy day for me as well. Installed my Yoshimura R-77 CF full exhaust. Man that thing is light! Also decided to remove the center stand for some additional weight savings. I have swing arm spools and some nice Pit Bull stands so it's no great loss. Also removed the screen from the stock filter, but I didn't mod my airbox yet. Waiting for my PC V to come in :waiting:

Oh and I found some nice surprises! Upon closer inspection of the bike it turns out it has Ivan's FCE and AIS block off plates :D. No wonder I couldn't figure lout what all those '06 owners were complaining about with the throttle snatch...lol

Now I just need this rain to stop...

Sounds like a great day for modding and to see the added bonuses there? :D :Rockon: :icon_beer: Now, are you sure the previous owner doesn't have a PC III in there? ;)

I am considering some Pit Bulls and spools as well. I'd like to take off the center. Since my wife's FZ6R doesn't have a center, this is a great excuse to go get some now. :D Besides, the Busted Knuckle Garage really needs a set if people don't trust the hoist.

How loud are the Yoshi's with the new headers?

The exhaust must sound killer. I love the tone of the Yosh systems. If I ever decide to change the D&D, thats what I'll be going with. They'll be hearing you up on the mountain no doubt!

It's not raining here but it's still damp and nasty out. I just got back from church and I made sure I said a special prayer for some sunlight today. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

It is raining slightly here and supposed to all day. :( I'm just thankful that yesterday turned out to be such a banner day for us here.

Riding in the rain, so long as it isn't a downpour, isn't so bad with the right gear. I'd go out right now if I didn't have to prepare another BBQ for this afternoon. Rain or shine, I'm grilling today! :D

Happy Father's Day guys!

Sounds like a great day for modding and to see the added bonuses there? :D :Rockon: :icon_beer: Now, are you sure the previous owner doesn't have a PC III in there? ;)

I am considering some Pit Bulls and spools as well. I'd like to take off the center. Since my wife's FZ6R doesn't have a center, this is a great excuse to go get some now. :D Besides, the Busted Knuckle Garage really needs a set if people don't trust the hoist.

How loud are the Yoshi's with the new headers?

Well I bought the bike from a dealer so I wasn't aware of any of the mods that were hidden. Unfortunately there is no PC III in there. However, I do have a PC V on order.

The R-77 uses a longer muffler than the other Yosh exhausts and I didn't remove the insert yet so it's not too loud right now. I only took it for a short ride and didn't really push it since the roads were still damp from all the rain. I can tell it doesn't run all that great around 3k, lot's of surging. I am sure that's something the PC V with a nice map will fix :)

And those Pit Bull stands are very nice. I found mine locally through craigslist. Only paid $150 for the front and rear :D

Then charge them double if they want to use the Pitbull stands. I only wish I had holes available to add spools instead of having to use the swing arm.

Will have to wait until next month before I can get some....have to recoup from this month expenditures.....I'll be glad when I get to the end of the road....but there will always be something...:surrender:

On my FZ1, I did the AIS block-off and the LARS airbox mod but didn't reroute any cables.

After putting it all back together, the shakedown run was great! No more popping, no more gurgling on deceleration.:Rockon:

Any issues passing inspection after AIS block off? I have my Graves plates but have been worried. I understand you did not remove everything but did you bay any chance try to pass inspection without putting back to stock?

Anyone else? ...in Texas maybe? I assume inspection criteria are a little different state to state.

Any issues passing inspection after AIS block off? I have my Graves plates but have been worried. I understand you did not remove everything but did you bay any chance try to pass inspection without putting back to stock?

Anyone else? ...in Texas maybe? I assume inspection criteria are a little different state to state.

Well what does "inspection" entail in Texas? Do they test for emissions? Do they do a visual inspection of the pollution components? Without knowing those answers it's kind of hard to really give you a definitive answer.

Here in NJ all they do for motorcycles at the current time is a safety inspection (brakes, lights, tires, etc.). Hope they keep it that way ;)

They do test emissions in Texas. I am just not sure how stringent those tests are. If it failed as I have it now would leaning out the PCV map help it pass?

I am going to ask the owner of the local shop I use and report back.

They do test emissions in Texas. I am just not sure how stringent those tests are. If it failed as I have it now would leaning out the PCV map help it pass?

I am going to ask the owner of the local shop I use and report back.

Do they test emissions only at idle or at certain other RPMs? I am not sure that you would have to lean it out. If anything maybe throw the stock map back on there (all zeroes) before the test.

That's a good idea about talking to the shop. Get as much info as you can before hand so you'll be better prepared.

OMG these bolts are a royal pain to get to. Taking off the radiator, tank and airbox do NOT make it any easier. I am so frustrated right now I am just going to have to take a few days to get to them. taking my time.

Back