No Changes for 2013

I'm way past the torture rack position on full blown sportbikes. That's the whole idea behind a more sane riding position with bikes like the FZ1 ..... potent motor, good handling with good comfort. But Yamaha is being forced into a Goundhog Day position due to lousy economics.

Yah, I know. I loved my 07 FZ1. But after I tried this CBR, I couldn't go back. I rode a 95 CBR600 back in 95, but this new bike is AMAZING.

:wtf:

I was just pointing out that even mighty Honda has to recall bikes sometimes so it's no fair to slag all the others. Besides, recalls are a good thing! Manufacturers should be praised for catching & fixing these little issues rather than letting it get swept under the carpet

I wasn't saying it was a shit bike or anything like that. It would be my bike of choice if I was in that market :yes:

I was just pointing out that even mighty Honda has to recall bikes sometimes so it's no fair to slag all the others. Besides, recalls are a good thing!

I wasn't saying it was a shit bike or anything like that. It would be my bike of choice if I was in that market :yes:

Yah, that's cool man. Not an attack. It's just that many folks are bragging (what I hear) about the S1000R, ZX10R being SIGNIFICANTLY different (better, supposely) than Honda and going out and buying them. Then shit happens. The dealers are not disclosing what they know to be a problem. I don't know back in 08....but I do know that right now the 12 CBR is immaculate and friends of mine on other bikes are waiting on their bikes in the shop ;).

I guess I combined my post with what I recently read in a magazine where they were singing the praises of BMW, Kawi, and Aprilia and acting like Honda was underperforming. Which on paper---who knows. But in performance on the bike, is not right at all, IMO and from my experience on it. NO one rides in a Dyno out on the street or on the track!!

The Aprilia is one bike that I have not heard a problem about either and the RSV4 seems pretty cool from what I've seen and they sound good---both the RSV4 Factory and R

Last edited:
You are VERY wrong bud, sorry. ;)

CBR engine changed from 07 to 08. The 08 had an issue with oil burning that was recalled and changed for the 09 model. Also something with the clutch, that was also resoved. Not really a "bunch" of recalls, is it? Was it more? IF so, it was corrected. And many still ride it after it was fixed. A guy was on an 08 at Texas world speedway last week.

The 2012 is a different bike. Very different. Suspension-front and rear, swingarm, steering damper, frame, module, fairings, wheels, slipper clutch, + other stuff. All different. I challenge you to go ride one and see how smooth it is!! I ride with guys on ZX10, GXSR, RSV4, R1, S1000R, KTM, other year CBR's and I assure you---the 2012 CBR takes no backseat with a skilled rider in the twisties of the TX hill country.........regardless of what some magazine might say. Check out Stefan Bradl on one at Laguna Seca on youtube ;)

Dude, there are numerous cases where Honda refused to acknowledge the oil burning and other issues. And other hand they started clearing them in 09 with a lifetime engine warranty. Hyprocrisy, I must say. There are still leaky 09-10s out there. Hondas usually are too smooth and boring but this fireblade is different.

I was just pointing out that even mighty Honda has to recall bikes sometimes so it's no fair to slag all the others. Besides, recalls are a good thing! Manufacturers should be praised for catching & fixing these little issues rather than letting it get swept under the carpet

Honda is not so good about it be it their motorcycles or cars. I would never buy a Honda car ever in my life. There is a lot of attitude from their salesmen as well as service departments. Not sure what coolaid they are drinking...

Last edited:
Dude, there are numerous cases where Honda refused to acknowledge the oil burning and other issues and other hand they started clearing them on 09 with a lifetime engine warranty. Hyprocrisy, I must say. There are still leaky 09-10s out there. Hondas usually are too smooth and boring but this fireblade is different.

Honda is not so good about it be it their motorcycles or cars. I would never buy a Honda car ever in my life. There is a lot of attitude from their salesmen as well as service departments. Not sure what coolaid they are drinking...

Those Honda car dealers are arrogant. Best way to buy is go to Cars.com and get the internet price. Usually a few hundred less than the best haggle deal. Line everything up online then walk-in and pick up the keys. I find it easier to buy a house than to buy a car conventionally.

im thinking w japan still reeling from the earthquake/tsunami and the American economy in the crapper, we arent gonna see any significant changes soon.

Dude, there are numerous cases where Honda refused to acknowledge the oil burning and other issues. And other hand they started clearing them in 09 with a lifetime engine warranty. Hyprocrisy, I must say. There are still leaky 09-10s out there. Hondas usually are too smooth and boring but this fireblade is different.

I didn't bring up 2008. That was one year with a new engine after one from 1992 - 2007. Who cares? It's 2012. I've had several Hondas and NEVER had a problem.

Well, maybe, but that is all just conjecture. It's odd that it wasn't included in the announcement of the other supersport line. I wouldn't be surprised if they canned it .... have the FZ1 on the top end and the FZ6R on the bottom end. I wonder how well the FZ8 actually sold in it's two year stint? American's always say they want naked bikes, and when they are imported they just ignore them. We'll just have to wait and find out over the next few weeks. Also curious the 2013 FJR is not listed.

Last edited:
I think the FZ8 will get "Bold New Graphics." Or not.

Honestly, revised ECU mapping, and two different colors.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Does the FZ8 currently offer ABS as an option? If not, I bet that will be one of the changes

Not in the USA, most bikes don't have ABS even when it is available overseas. Bikes are sold on price .... manufacturers don't want to put themselves at a disadvantage. It's a keenly priced market in the USA for things like computers, cars and bikes, a few bucks matters. If the FZ1 doesn't have ABS I doubt the FZ8 would offer it.

A few tweaks to the FJR. 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A Home, information, Super Sport Touring

Highlights:
  • Facelift for fairing and LED integrated front signals - claimed better lower protection
  • Two FI maps T (for touring or putzing) and S (for sport or getting on it) with fly-by-wire throttle
  • Faster windshield up and down
  • Combined ABS (or UBS) - Rear activates rear brake and 2 pistons of the front brake while the front brake activates the other 6 front pistons
  • Heated grips (I think they were already there)
  • New instrument cluster
  • Traction control with an OFF switch
  • Electronic cruise control (like a car that keeps speed constant even uphill or downhill.
  • Adjustable height of driver seat

All that for about $16,000 US sticker. I'd love one of those.

Last edited:
A few tweaks to the FJR. 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A Home, information, Super Sport Touring

Highlights:
  • Facelift for fairing and LED integrated front signals - claimed better lower protection
  • Two FI maps T (for touring or putzing) and S (for sport or getting on it) with fly-by-wire throttle
  • Faster windshield up and down
  • Combined ABS (or UBS) - Rear activates rear brake and 2 pistons of the front brake while the front brake activates the other 6 front pistons
  • Heated grips (I think they were already there)
  • New instrument cluster
  • Traction control with an OFF switch
  • Electronic cruise control (like a car that keeps speed constant even uphill or downhill.
  • Adjustable height of driver seat

All that for about $16,000 US sticker. I'd love one of those.

I'm bouncing around... I'm thinking by mid/end of next year I'll be ready for an upgrade (money wise... I'M ready now :eyebrow:).

Traction control and/or ABS is a plus to me, and I want a tourer, I just don't know I would like the big FJR for commuting vs/ the FZ1.... this complicates the decision.

I am very interested in riding an FJR. I didn't consider one when I bought my FZ1, but, given the nature of my riding, I should have at least given one a look. The flip side to that argument is suffering a bike that isn't ideal day-to-day so that you can have it for the one or two multi-day tours you get in a year.

I don't think I'd enjoy the bigger bike for weekend assaults, but when I did 1000 miles in 2 1/2 days on my FZ1 I sure felt it. I think it would have been worth trying out an FJR. I guess I'll just have to keep my FZ1 and buy an FJR for tours.

...and maybe an R6 for the track :)

I've ridden a 2007 FJR and really liked it. You'll notice the weight in a parking lot, but once it's rolling, it's not too bad. As would be expected, it's opposite the FZ1 engine, lots of low end, gobs of mid-range, anemic top end and short red line. It's not going to carve quite as well as the FZ1, of course, but I think you'd be surprised how well it handles.

If you're serious about a sport touring bike, you have to consider the Kawasaki Concourse 14 too. I prefer the looks of the FJR, but I've never ridden a Connie 14. I've come across a couple used ones, but I missed out on taking them for a spin. I don't know what electronics the C14 has to compare to the new additions for Yamaha, but I bet they are pretty close. The electronic cruise control may be the biggest difference, I'd guess (with out looking). I'm pretty sure the C14's engine and drive shaft are better than the Yamaha.

I know Eric (Cobalt) has ridden Norm's C14, but I don't know if he has ridden an FJR. Maybe we can hear from someone who has ridden both.

23178603.jpg

Back