Next Yamaha Project???

Hellgate

I discovered in my box-O-RZ parts that I have all the parts to rebuild the swing. Off it comes, and to the power coaters.

Below are pitted linkage arms. They are good enough as new ones are $60 each.

<<EDIT>>

Make that $96.00 each!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hellgate

After several days of soaking in WD40 I managed to get the rear wheel bearing out. Nasty...

That said, the new swingarm bushing drove out the new swingarm bearings...back to square one...Canadians...

Honestly...that is media from the powder coaters. They forgot to remove the old bearsing before blasting the wheel.

New OEM bearings are ready to be installed.

View attachment 16278

Hellgate

Oh, Woodcraft clip-ons arrived today. Sunday I hope to make some progress. I really want this thing to be a roller again. Currently on stands...It may spend the winter outside. After all, it is Canadian...:wilynily:

Oldschool

sorry

After several days of soaking in WD40 I managed to get the rear wheel bearing out. Nasty...

That said, the new swingarm bushing drove out the new swingarm bearings...back to square one...Canadians...

Honestly...that is media from the powder coaters. They forgot to remove the old bearsing before blasting the wheel.

New OEM bearings are ready to be installed.

View attachment 16278
We only have so much grease up here, and we need it to spread on ourselves to keep from freezing to death. I have slightly thicker skin so I can save enough to lube my bearings.:p

Hellgate

Made some headway today. For some reason the chambers don't snug up to the exhaust port. Remember this is the bike that had two exhaust gasket and chalk....

1) Rear wheel bearings, new sprocket, new EBC brake rotor.
2) New swingarm bearings and bushings
3) New Avon Rear Tire installed.
4) New EBC HH Brake pads.

I need to find a solution for the chambers and I'm going to punt and send the forks to Race Tech.

This has really become the odd, mystery bike.

View attachment 16364

View attachment 16365

View attachment 16366

View attachment 16367

View attachment 16368

Last edited:

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
You need to get some duplicolor caliper paint for the rear brake to match that Purdy red rim.

Coming together nicely.

Sent from: GS4

Hellgate

Thanks. However the caliper pistons are so rusted I think I'll see if I can find a nice replacement. As by the time I buy pistons, seals, and have it blasted I'm sure I can find a nice used one.

Oldschool

Damn that's beautiful! I Love that bike! I haven't seen wheels that pretty since I picked my 86' up from the dealer way back then.

Does the bike not have a chain slider? Might be an idea. The swing arm vs chain looks awful close.

Hellgate

It does, two actually. One on the top of swing, and another on the linkage.

Hellgate

It's really handy. I wish I had another one of them.

I bought a set of car dollies today to place under the front wheel.

Hellgate

Well, well, well. After dropping the RZ off at the same shop that built the XV1100 motor, it is damn near done. These guys works like molasses in January in Lee's garage. I dropped it off with them so I could get it out of my garage for 9 months!

The Race Tech fork kit is in. The carbs are in the process of being rebuilt. The reeds will go in along with a new battery. Then the front M/C needs a longer banjo, and some motor tuning. It looks like it will be ready when we move on the 23rd. But with old bikes one can not keep to a time line with odd parts and unknown problems. The mechanic who is working on it is an old RD and RZ nut from the '80's. He's been asking the owner of the shop, "Can I work on the RZ now?" He's the perfect guy to do the job.

I hate to say it but once we get to Austin I'll probably have to sell it. We don't have the room. And I may have to sell another bike too. Space is a premium now.

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Don't sell, rent a storage space and rotate the rides!!! If I were closer, I'd store them for you.

Dustin

It's really unfortunate that you'll have to sell. Maybe you can just erect one of those outdoor storage tents for bikes? :)

Hellgate

Oh we have been shrinking stuff the last month. We're going from 4125 sqft to 2400 sqt. From .50 acres to .18 acres.

I've sold a bunch of stuff and donated car loads. The problem is my wife is a pack rat. Size 2 mini skirt??? "Baby I love you but that will never happen again. Unless of course there is a zombie outbreak." Pot kettle, kettle pot...

Dustin

That's a heck of a sound!

I embedded it for you:

[video=youtube;fHnRdfmsIXM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHnRdfmsIXM[/video]