Hi all, I picked my 07 plate FZ1 Naked up on fri, love the power of the thing! I sold my Zed1000 that I had for almost 5 years had a go on the new FZ1 and wanted it. The one I got had 5000 miles on it in Black with Akro can.
Im looking for a nice looking wind/fly screen maybe a Puig one as they seem the best looking onse iv seen so far.
Unfortunately I had to ride the bike home in rain so could not feel the hadling to much, I went out with pals for my 1st ride on sat morn and was horrified how badly it handled so left early to have a go at setting up the suspension.:gaming: It is loads better now but im wondering would the R1 shock fit as the frames are almost the same to that of the 05/06 R1's?
Bit of an essay but HI to all :flash:

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Re the handling, what tyres are on the bike, how many miles have they done and what are the tyre pressures?
The back shock is a cheapy but the bike should still be able to handle once sag etc are set. I get to the edges of the tyres no bother and many a sportsbike just gets to see the back of the bike. These bikes DO handle once sorted so its worth setting them up properly. All the Fz1s I have seen have the front forks far too soft as standard which means a lot of dive if th ebrakes are touched, the rear is often a bit bouncy to say the least with pegs down easily until set up. Let us know how you get on.

Remember that the factory suspension settings are for a certain weight rider. If you're lighter or heavier then proper suspension adjustment is in order.

As for the R1 shock it has been mounted on the FZ1's, but it's not a straight bolt-on. There was a post I saw about it somewhere, but can't remember now where it was. Anyway some sort of mounting bracket had to be fabricated. You're probably better off going with an aftermarket unit like a Penske or an Ohlins.

Remember that the factory suspension settings are for a certain weight rider. If you're lighter or heavier then proper suspension adjustment is in order.

As for the R1 shock it has been mounted on the FZ1's, but it's not a straight bolt-on. There was a post I saw about it somewhere, but can't remember now where it was. Anyway some sort of mounting bracket had to be fabricated. You're probably better off going with an aftermarket unit like a Penske or an Ohlins.

+1.

TBH I cheated and fitted a Nitron. BUT the OE can be made to handle, it just that its never going to feel briliant on the Yam shock. The R1 shcok can made to fit but at the end of the day it is still a shock made to a price. Far better save the money and get some quality back there. It makes a big difference to the ride and feel, as an ex R1 rider I was never that impressed with the suspension on that bike. Anything less than race track smooth roads could be hard work so your looking at a compromise there.

I weigh 13stone so not too heavy. Iv managed to adjust it so its alot better than when I picked it up so its all good. When i got it the back was kicking me out the seat with too much rebound dialed in and too hard, the front had the preload wound all the way out to soft with rebound on super springy. Im surpriced the bloke I got it off didnt crash it with that set up.
The main problem with the shock is that it has comp and rebound damning on one screw so I will never get it how I like so will go for another shock.
Iv found someone selling an Ollins shock for a 05 Fazer would this fit my 07 FZ1 Naked?:eyebrow:

The main problem with the shock is that it has comp and rebound damning on one screw so I will never get it how I like so will go for another shock.
Iv found someone selling an Ollins shock for a 05 Fazer would this fit my 07 FZ1 Naked?:eyebrow:

Afraid not. You need 06 >09. I watched on ebay for a while and there wasnt much there before I bought new.
Sounds like your the same weight as me. I fiound the front forks best at 2 rings showing on the tops of the tubes. This helped eliminate a lot of the front end dive and gave loads of feedback.

Afraid not. You need 06 >09. I watched on ebay for a while and there wasnt much there before I bought new.
Sounds like your the same weight as me. I fiound the front forks best at 2 rings showing on the tops of the tubes. This helped eliminate a lot of the front end dive and gave loads of feedback.

That is what mine is at now, 2 rings showing on preload, it did have 6!! Think im going to get rid of the Diablo's tho, they ok for touring but no good for me, I managed to lock the front tyre yesterday attempting a rolling stoppie! I was useing Dunlop GP Racers on the Zed and they give soooo much feal and grip.
Anyone want a set of Diablo's with a corser rear with only 200miles on them??

Glad to have you on the forum. Sorry to hear you think the thing is a bad handler. I weigh about 150 lbs and thought just the opposite for a new off-the-shelf bike. How much are you hauling around on the thing? There's always new shocks/tires if you need the push it farther.

I am not a great lover of the pirelli (each to their own as some on here will jump to thier defence) after numerous slides on the R1. There are loads of tyre discussions on here but my fave is pilot Road 2ct. Now 6k miles with lots tread left and they grip, wet or dry. Might not have the feel or dig in as much as more grippy tyres but never had so much as a moment on them. Been well tested to the edges on many an alpine pass this year and agian in scotland last weekend.

Glad to have you on the forum. Sorry to hear you think the thing is a bad handler. I weigh about 150 lbs and thought just the opposite for a new off-the-shelf bike. How much are you hauling around on the thing? There's always new shocks/tires if you need the push it farther.
Not saying it handles bad in general:embarrased: it was just set up bad when I got it last week, iv now managed to get it around about where i want it handling so its quite good, its just the ground clearance that I will need to address. Some rear sets will sort that out and I think I may change the Akro can for a Remus one as it gives a lil better ground clearance. :flash:

I am not a great lover of the pirelli (each to their own as some on here will jump to thier defence) after numerous slides on the R1. There are loads of tyre discussions on here but my fave is pilot Road 2ct. Now 6k miles with lots tread left and they grip, wet or dry. Might not have the feel or dig in as much as more grippy tyres but never had so much as a moment on them. Been well tested to the edges on many an alpine pass this year and agian in scotland last weekend.
Yes herd good reports on the Michies my mate loves them on his 08 R1. Im going to stick with the Dunlop GP Racers tho as they are more track based and last real well I was getting 3500 + mls out of the Zed with prob 3-4 track days thrown in, plus I can get them cheap of a bloke that races on them. The 2ct's are quite expencive but good tyres all the same. :thewave:

I bought an adjustable length nitron. At an extra 5mm height on the rear and the front with more spring preload there are no problems with ground clearance for me now. The footrest antena have been removed as I dont like to feel anything touching down mid corner....spoils concentration . I dont do slow, no self restraint:sinister:

Rearsets are an expensive luxury and tbh an adjustable shock is where most improvement will be felt, just IMO.

Back