New tools for the Busted Knuckle Garage

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
My wife is so good to me, really! I let her know that I was on the hunt for an impact wrench and after looking at pricing for an electric one, we looked into the less expensive air powered tool. Well, my little compressor wasn't enough to handle the gun so she grabbed her purse and said "Let's go to Home Depot."

Oh! Cool!

We get there and start looking over the hardware available. I pointed to one medium sized portable and said "That one will suffice." She says "Suffice? Does that mean we'll be back here again in the near future to buy an even larger one?" Guess she knows me too well, eh? So, she points to the LARGEST portable and says "Will that one run about anything you want to use on it?" I said "I'm quite sure that will overdo almost anything I want to run off it." So, here's what I came home with. I forgot to throw into the picture the string of metric shallow impact sockets that was in the basket too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So Eric since it's "portable" does that mean that you're bringing it down in September? I'm sure it will fit in the back of the truck :D

I love that sign!
The tools are great.

I always say the best part about letting my wife come up with home improvements is there is usually a new tool involved. I love tools.:drools:

After it is all settled in, I now told her she's opened up a new can of worms. :eek: I need to get more air tools. :D But, after showing her the difference in pricing between a moderate air tool and its electric counterpart, she's OK with it.

So, with that in mind... what do you all have for air tools, if any? Good brands? Bad brands? Keep in mind that these would be occasional use, not working hard at all. I already know that ANY tool needs to be oiled to operate properly each time you take it out for the day.

Right now, it is just a cheap Harbor Freight 3/8" ratchet which seems to operate just fine with proper oiling, and the new CH 1/2" impact wrench bought with this compressor.

Value

I wouldn't get to wound up about brands unless it is something you are going to make a living with. Even our mechanic at work only buys snap-on for the few tools that he uses every day. The rest he goes to Princess Auto and buys the cheap Chinese stuff. He tells me that for a tool that you use once in awhile they are just fine. Save your money for the FZ and family.

I wouldn't get to wound up about brands unless it is something you are going to make a living with. Even our mechanic at work only buys snap-on for the few tools that he uses every day. The rest he goes to Princess Auto and buys the cheap Chinese stuff. He tells me that for a tool that you use once in awhile they are just fine. Save your money for the FZ and family.

That's what I am thinking here... light use, should be OK with the cheap stuff. They are all easy to service but if I buy from Northern Tool (like that kit above) for an extra $9.99 I can get it replaced for up to three years. They don't require a receipt and there is no repair, they only replace it. Not a bad deal, eh?

Air quality

I have a cheap twin tank electric portable compressor similar but not as nice as Brad's single. I have to watch the CFM useage on the tools I buy. You on the other hand Eric will not have to even look at that when buying, with that monster in the corner. That is usually the biggest difference in air tool quality. The good tools are more air efficient, using less cfm.

You're right Lee. This one is rated for 5.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Almost all the tools I want need 5.0 or less. :D

She did offer even one step higher and that sucker was 10.5 SCFM and was required to be bolted to the floor! But I didn't want it to be a permanent fixture and still wanted to be able to move it or even transport if necessary. So, this was the largest one with wheels over 5.0 SCFM.

She's a peach! She keeps me on :cloud9: with :blowing_kisses: and lots of :hug: :hug: :hug: .

Air Drier

If you are planning to install any solid lines with outlets in the garage don't forget to install an Air Dryer at the machine end and a drain valve set lower than the last outlet at the far end. Moisture in the lines is your geatest enemy when it comes to an air system and tools. Especially true if your Shop is not heated. Not much to worry about if you are using just the line off the compressor though. I am hoping to at least insulate my shop this summer so that the next down (cold) season I can play out there some more. wrenching is very therapeudic during the "Off" season as you know.

If you are planning to install any solid lines with outlets in the garage don't forget to install an Air Dryer at the machine end and a drain valve set lower than the last outlet at the far end. Moisture in the lines is your greatest enemy when it comes to an air system and tools. Especially true if your Shop is not heated. Not much to worry about if you are using just the line off the compressor though. I am hoping to at least insulate my shop this summer so that the next down (cold) season I can play out there some more. wrenching is very therapeutic during the "Off" season as you know.

Oddly, I was just looking into one of those! Excellent point! Thanks Lee!

I also hope to get the ceiling in the garage insulated and rocked this summer. Next winter, I'll have two means of heating the garage. A newer kerosene heater as well as the electric heater. I plan on heating with the kerosene heater prior to actually going out to tinker, then switching to the electric to maintain the heat and shut down the kerosene heater. Should stay very warm while I wrench. :D

Hey Eric! Nice addition to the garage. Is that oil filled or oiless? If you went with the oil filled unit it's great as it can be rebuilt over and over again. With proper maintenance you'll only be replacing regulators and nothing else. Thats a great wife you got there!

Hey Eric! Nice addition to the garage. Is that oil filled or oiless? If you went with the oil filled unit it's great as it can be rebuilt over and over again. With proper maintenance you'll only be replacing regulators and nothing else. Thats a great wife you got there!

Thanks Billy! That is an oil filled unit. Being able to service it or have it serviced is on of the reasons I went for this one. It claims to handle nearly any air tool out there. It says Husky on the tank but the unit is a Campbell Hausfeld according to the instruction manual which doesn't mention Husky anywhere! ;)

Let the tool collection begin! :D

Back