New to Me 2006 FZ1

Just picked up a used 2006 FZ1. Already own a ZX-6R and CBR 500R and ride daily for commuting and then the canyons on the weekends.

Anyways, the previous owner had the stator explode on him at the 87,000 mile mark. I picked it from him after he realized the bike needed more work than he had the time or patience for. So we have the engine just about dropped and will be going through the valves and crank case tomorrow. In already looking at the head, most of lobes on the camshafts are out of spec so we are going to be replacing both the intake, and exhaust cam shafts as well as the cam chain, just for starters. It had an engine knock before we took it apart. Suspect it might be a bad bearing or two or a local shop thought perhaps a bent rod. Interested in what you all might think.

Anyhow, hello everyone!

I think I would just get a low mile engine

Thought about that; however, the previous owner already paid big bucks to have a brand new stator installed so the engine is most of the way there. We enjoy working on these things and it will cost me less than $500 in parts. The engines I saw on E-Bay were in the $900 - $1,100 range. Because my own labor is free, we are going to do the work ourselves and learn A TON about this bike along the way.

So we got the engine out and the valve head off. Here is a photo of what the pistons currently look like underneath. Remember, this is a 2006 and it has 90,000 miles on it. Is this normal wear and tear for this age and mileage?

Sounds a good project ,, what was the engine like to drop ?? Did think about dropping mine out to do the valves , thought it may be easier

Dropping the engine was a real chore and we struggled with a few things along the way because of our learning curve. I could now drop an FZ1 engine in an afternoon. It's mostly just a bunch of busy work disconnecting things. Having a pneumatic impact gun helps A LOT with disassembly. I don't think I would have been able to get the self-locking nuts off of the engine mounting bolts without my impact gun. It should have been necessary for removing the nut on the primary sprocket as well but for some reason on my bike it was already loose!!!!!!!! I simply bent up the metal tabs with a screw driver and it backed off by HAND!!!! Not normal..........this should have taken an impact gun to remove. In any case, I wouldn't recommend dropping the engine just for a valve job unless you're facing a long cold winter and have noting better to do.

So we kept finding copper windings from the exploded stator so we kept tearing into the engine chasing all of the copper pieces we could get our dirty hands on. We ended up here yesterday.

So we kept finding copper windings from the exploded stator so we kept tearing into the engine chasing all of the copper pieces we could get our dirty hands on. We ended up here yesterday.

How are you getting the copper out since you can really use magnets? What a nightmare.

Back